Georgetown vs. American
- Oct. 18, 2019
- Washington D.C.
- Men: Georgetown 139-42; Women: Georgetown 125-63
Courtesy: Georgetown Athletics
WASHINGTON – The Georgetown University swimming & diving team won 22 of 26 events, cruising to a sweep of American University on Friday evening at American’s Reeves Aquatic Center. The GU men won 139-42, while the women’s squad claimed a 125-63 victory.
- The Hoyas won both relay events and 10 individual races including taking the top two spots in nine events and sweeping the top three four times.
- Drew Carbone won both the 200-yard freestyle and the 200-yard backstroke, and Joseph Hofman was GU’s other multiple winner as he swept the 1- and 3-meter dives.
- Jack Calderwood and Josiah Lauver took the two freestyle sprints, winning the 50- and 100-yard freestyles, while Michael Wheeler and Jacob Werden swept the distance events with victories in the 500- and 1,000-yard freestyles.
- Carlson Temple touched the wall first in the 200-yard breaststroke and Brett Sherman claimed the other individual win in the 400-yard IM.
- The Georgetown women also won both relay events and claimed eight individual victories while taking the top two spots six times and sweeping the top three places four times.
- Ali Robertson and Riley Fujioka both had two wins as Robertson touched the wall first in the 400-yard IM and the 100-yard freestyle while Fujioka won both diving events.
- Ryan Evangelista and Corey Moon swept the distance events with victories in the 500- and 1,000-yard freestyles, respectively.
- Cristina Barrett won the 200-yard butterfly and Samantha Kim earned the win in the 200-yard breaststroke.
COMING UP NEXT
The Hoyas will stay on the road for a dual meet at Davidson on Saturday, Oct. 26. Racing will start at noon.
Courtesy: American Athletics
WASHINGTON – The final home meet of the season came early for the American University’s men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams, and the Eagles celebrated their six seniors for Senior Day before facing Georgetown. Ultimately, the Hoyas got the best of AU in point-scoring on both the men’s and women’s side.
- American swimmers posted four wins against Georgetown, with three of those coming from the women’s team.
- Senior Alex Brosvik was one of those winners, taking first in the 50 freestyle in a time of 24.40. Right behind her in second was sophomore Eleanor Felton, and in third was junior Abby Longstaff.
- Felton and Longstaff also took second and third, respectively, in the 100 freestyle.
- In the men’s 200 butterfly, junior Liam Riebling and freshman Jonathan Quick finished first and second with times of 1:53.63 and 1:55.96, respectively.
- Junior Ellie Kight won the 200 freestyle for the women, posting a time of 1:56.62.
- The 200 backstroke was won by AU’s Lily Koenig in 2:08.52.
AU sophomore Malak Hattab placed second in the 200 breaststroke for the Eagles.
AU will have a couple weeks off before heading to nearby Howard for a 6 p.m. meet on Friday, Nov. 1.