43rd Trofeo Mussi Lombardi Femiano
- November 16th-17th, 2019
- Massarosa, Italy
- 25m (Short Course Meters)
On the closing weekend of Italy’s qualification period for the 2019 European Short Course Swimming Championships, which will be held from December 4th-8th in Glasgow, the primary meet for swimmers looking for last-minute cuts was the Trofeo Mussi Lombardi Femiano in Massarosa.
The biggest news, though, might not have been the handful of new qualifiers, but rather the return to competition of 25-year old Gabriele Detti, a 2017 World Champion and 2016 double Olympic bronze medalist.
Detti withdrew from the International Swimming League (ISL) in September and not much more has been heard from him since. In his first racing since the World Championships, Detti took the chance to test his training and affirm his commitment to Euros. Detti took a bronze medal at the World Championships in the 400 free and also placed 5th in the 800 free.
He swam that same 400 free this weekend as his only race, where in short course he swam 3:40.47, out-touching Marco De Tullio in 3:41.38. That was short of the qualifying time, but Detti was already qualified for the team.
Detti’s best time is 3:36.63 in short course meters, which he did in April of this year.
The other qualifier to come out of the meet was in the men’s 200 free. There, Mattia Zuin swam a 1:44.25 in the 200 free, which matches the qualifying standard of 1:44.2. That should ’round down’ and qualify Zuin as the 4th man under the qualifying standard in the 200 free. Each country can enter up to 4 swimmers per individual event at the European Short Course Championships, though there are no 800 (or 400, for that matter) free relays.
Italian-Mandated Qualifying Times for Glasgow
ITALIAN QUALIFIERS FOR EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Federica Pellegrini 100/200 freestyle
- Simona Quadarella 800 freestyle
- Margherita Panziera 100/200 back
- Benedetta Pilato 50 / 100 breaststroke
- Martina Carraro 50/100 breaststroke
- Arianna Castiglioni 100 breaststroke
- Elena Di Liddo 50/100 butterfly
- Ilaria Bianchi 100 butterfly
- Ilaria Cusinato 200/400 IM 200 butterfly
- Giulia Gabbrielleschi 800 freestyle
- Francesca Fangio 200 meters breaststroke
- Santo Condorelli 100 free style
- Manuel Frigo 100 freestyle
- Alessandro Miressi 100 freestyle
- Filippo Megli 200 freestyle
- Gabriele Detti 400 freestyle
- Marco De Tullio 400 freestyle
- Gregorio Paltrinieri 1500 freestyle
- Domenico Acerenza 1500 freestyle
- Simone Sabbioni 50/100 backstroke
- Matteo Restivo 200 back
- Fabio Scozzoli 50/100 breaststroke
- Nicolo Martinenghi 50/100 breaststroke
- Piero Codia 50 butterfly
- Federico Burdisso 200 butterfly
- Matteo Ciampi 200 freestyle / 400 freestyle
- Stefano Ballo 200 freestyle
- Lorenzo Mora 200m back / 100m back
- Alberto Razzetti 200 IM / 200 butterfly
- Marco Orsi 100 IM
- Mattia Zuin 200 freestyle