2020 SOUTHERN ZONE SOUTH SECTIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
- March 5-8, 2020
- Plantation, FL
- 50m (LCM)
- Meet Info
- Meet Site
- 2020 U.S. Trials Cuts
- Saturday Finals Results
After winning the 100 breast on night 2, South Florida Aquatic Club’s Alia Atkinson nabbed another pair of wins. Atkinson, a Jamaican Olympian, dominated the 50 breast in 31.37. She returned shortly after to win the 50 fly in 27.30. Another veteran Olympian, Brazil’s Bruno Fratus, took a win on the men’s side. Fratus led the 50 free in 22.16.
Eagle Aquatics’ Erika Pelaez, who qualified for Olympic Trials last month at just 13 years old, clipped her 50 free best tonight. Pelaez raced to a 26.10, knocking 2 hundredths off her former best from last month. She’s qualified for Olympic Trials in both the 100 free and 100 back, but is still a little off the 50 free cut.
Gator Swim Club’s Tom Peribonio, who was an SEC medalist in his collegiate career with South Carolina, won the 200 IM. Peribonio, an Ecuadorian National Record holder, dominated the race in 2:03.88. Bluefish Swim Club’s 16-year-old Summer Smith topped the women’s version of that event in 2:19.02, winning by over 2 seconds.
Additional Event Winners:
- Women’s 400 Free: Michelle Morgan, Pipeline Swimming, 4:18.02
- Men’s 400 Free: Santiago Corredor, Gator Swim Club, 3:55.38
- Men’s 50 Fly: Runar Borgen, Performance Aquatics, 24.58
- Men’s 50 Breast: Raphael Windmuller, Unattached, 28.92
- Women’s 100 Back: Celina Marquez, Azura Florida Aquatics, 1:03.54
- Men’s 100 Back: Yeziel Morales, Azura Florida Aquatics, 57.60
- Women’s 400 Free Relay: Bluefish Swim Club, 4:22.62
- Men’s 400 Free Relay: Azura Florida Aquatics, 3:48.64