Castaic Lake in southern California will be the new host for Open Water Nationals, USA Swimming announced today after making the decision last week to move the event away from Wrightsville Beach, the original host.
Wrightsville was nixed after tidal changes caused a safety concern. It would have been one of the first saltwater venues for nationals in several years. Castaic Lake will provide another freshwater event, which will take place June 13 and 15, 2014. The lake is near the town of Castaic, north of Los Angeles.
Castaic Lake hosted this meet last year as well, and faced a splash of drama when a buoy anchor came loose mid-race, prompting a protest of the official results.
Open Water Nationals will serve as a selection meet for a multitude of international competitions and national teams including the following:
- Open Water Pan Pacific Championships Team
- Open Water Junior Pan Pacific Championships Team
- FINA World Junior Open Water Championships Team
- USA Swimming Open Water National Team
- USA Swimming Open Water National Junior Team