2021 FLORIDA SWIMMING SPRING AGE GROUP CHAMPS
- March 4 – March 8, 2021
- South Site: North Shore Pool, St. Petersburg, Florida
- North Site: Rosen Aquatic & Fitness Center, Orlando, Fl
- Short Course Yards (SCY)
- Thursday night results COMBINED
Combined Team Scores After Day 2 – Top 10
- Bolles School Sharks – 1,536 Points
- Laker Swim – 638.50 Points
- Sarasota Sharks – 596.50 Points
- Sarasota Tsunami Swim Team – 538 Points
- Patriot Aquatics – 374 Points
- Loggerhead Aquatics – 358.50 Points
- Planet Swim Aquatics – 290 Points
- Southwest Stars Swim Club – 282 Points
- Episcopal AmberJax – 262 Points
- Blue Dolfins – 253 Points
Owen Ekk from Area Tallahassee picked up his second win of the meet at the 2021 Florida Swimming Spring Age Group Championships by hitting the fastest 11-12-year old 200 yard freestyle. Ekk won the event with a 1:46.73, making him the fastest 11-12-year-old boy in the nation this season. He narrowly surpasses Sam Marsteiner‘s 1:46.95. Ekk had a prior season-best of 1:49.37 from the 2021 Mac Crutchfield Invitational.
Ekk won the 1000 freestyle on day 1, also giving him a #1 nationwide ranking in his age group. Colin Jacobs and Luke Zardavets joined Ekk on the 11-12 podium with times of 1:54.78 and 1:57.73, respectively.
Also repeating as victor from the 1000 freestyle was Emma Sundermeyer in the 200 freestyle. Sundermeyer won the 200 for the Southwest Stars with a 1:50.55, getting under her 1:52.81 PB from March 2020. Mary Agnes Smith came in 3 seconds later for silver with a 1:53.36 and Brynn Stoneburg was right behind in a 1:53.39 for bronze.
Wyatt Porch picked up 2 wins for Bolles as he raced to victory in the 13-14 100 butterfly and 50 breaststroke. In the former, Porch swam a 51.84 to take gold by more than half a second. William Wadsworth claimed silver with a 52.55 for the Sarasota Sharks while Jeffrey Wolfe was a 53.13 for bronze.
In the 50 breast, Porch was a 27.10 for the victory giving him a #2 ranking nationwide among 13-13-year-old behind Finnley Conklin‘s 27.06. Porch was joined on the podium by Andrew Kravchenko (27.79) for silver and Jayden Repak (27.92) for bronze.
Also picking up two wins for Bolles, Liam Roberts swam the quickest 11-12 50 breast with a 29.54 and was back just a few events later to claim 100 IM victory in a 59.04. That 50 breast for Roberts makes him the 5th fastest in his age group this season behind Peter Vu‘s 29.29.
On the girl’s side, Blakely Hammel matched Liam Robert’s 50 breast / 100 IM double victory, picking up two wins for Swim Jax. Hammel was 31.81 in the breaststroke as the only sub-32 swim in the field to establish a major best time, lowering it from a 33.67 from November 2020. In the 100 IM, Hammel also set a new personal record, getting from a 1:05.98 to a 1:03.97.
Savannah Branon swam to victory for Bolles in both the 50 and 200 breaststrokes in the 13-14-year-old age group. She won the 50 in a 29.39 while taking the 200 title with a 2:18.54. That makes Branon the second fastest 13-14-year-old in the 50 this season behind Eagle Aquatics’ Erika Pelaez at 29.37. In the 200, she now sits in 12th behind Ivy Monk’s 2:18.42 for SwimMAC Carolina.
Other Notable Winners
- Juliana Kodera won both the 11-12 200 freestyle (1:56.13) and 100 butterfly (59.54) for Highlander Aquatics
- Bogdan Zverez claimed the 11-12 100 breast (2:18.77) and 100 butterfly (56.00) titles.