Swimming Australia will select its team for the 2018 Commonwealth Games at the Australian Swimming Trials in February and March of 2018.
That’s about a month out of the start of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, which will take place at home on the Gold Coast of Australia. The selection meet runs Feb 28 – March 3, 2018 while Commonwealths run April 5-10, 2018.
Australia will select up to 50 members to its Commonwealth Games team, although there is no requirement that all 50 slots be filled. Here’s a quick look at the selection priority, per the official selection procedures:
- Priority 1:
- Top 3 finishers in each individual Olympic event who beat the Swimming Australia A qualifying time selected
- Priority 2:
- Top 2 finishers in 100 fly, back and breast considered for selection regardless of the qualifying time in order to fill the medley relay.
- Top 2 in 100 free and 200 free selected to fill free relays.
- 3rd-8th in 100 free and 200 free considered for selection as relay only swimmers, at the discretion of Swimming Australia Selection Panel.
- Priority 3:
- Top 3 finishers in non-Olympic events (50 fly, back, breast) who beat the A qualifying time selected
- Priority 4:
- If 3 athletes haven’t been selected in an event, the top 3 finishers who beat the Swimming Australia B qualifying time will be considered.
The A cuts (not listed in the official selection criteria as of yet) will be the 8th place time heading into finals at the 2017 World Championships. The B cuts are last year’s FINA A cut times. We’ve compiled that chart below:
|Men A||Men B||Women A||Women B|