The 53rd annual ASCA World Clinic took place this past week in Orlando, Florida. At the clinic, over 500 ASCA members voted in an election for 5 new coaches to serve on the ASCA Board of Directors.
- Mohamed Abdelaal, Head Senior Coach, AquaHawgs
- Bill Dorenkott, Head Coach, Ohio State University
- Ellen Johnston, Head Coach, Westport Weston Family YMCA Water Rats
- *Mike Koleber, Head Coach, Nitro Swimming
- Emily Melina, Head Coach, Lake Oswego Swim Club
*Mike Koleber was the only candidate running for re-election, and was also re-elected as the president of ASCA.
While six coaches end their term on the board this year, only five were replaced. That’s because the ASCA bylaws were amended earlier this year to reduce the board from its current 15 seats to 12. That will be done one year at a time until they reach 12.
There were 6 nominees for 5 positions, and Pete Motekaitis, Co-Director of Davis Aquamonsters, was the other nominee.
The new ASCA Board of Directors met and elected 4 members to leadership positions positions: The ASCA President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. The following 4 individuals were elected into the positions:
- President – Mike Koleber, Head Senior Coach, Nitro Swimming
- Vice President – Dave Gibson, Head Coach, Swim Fort Lauderdale
- Treasurer – Jimmy Tierney, Head Coach, McKendree University
- Secretary – Mike Murray, Head Coach, Victor Swim Club
Chad Onken, Matt Kredich, David Marsh, and Dave Salo all served their 3-year terms and have chosen not to re-run. Mark Schubert ended his term a year early, citing personal reasons not related to ASCA, while Mike Koleber was re-elected for another term as the president of ASCA.
The other members of the Board of Directors that round out the current 15 include:
- Ken Heis, Head Coach, Mason Manta Rays (Term Ends 2022)
- Jeff Julian, Head Coach, Rosebowl Aquatics (Term Ends 2022)
- Megan Oesting, Head Coach, Bend Swim Club (Term Ends 2023)
- Mitch Dalton, Assistant Coach, University of Texas Women (Term Ends 2023)
- Braden Holloway, Head Coach, NC State (Term Ends 2023)
- Doug Wharam, Associate Head Coach, Nashville Aquatic Club (Term Ends 2023)
Including the two new females elected, there are now three women out of 14 members of the ASCA Board of Directors, and none in the leadership group. Prior to this election, Oesting was the only female on the Board of Directors.
10 out of the 14 coaches on the Board of Director coach primarily at the club level, while four (Dorenkott, Holloway, Dalton, and Tierny) primarily coach collegiate and professional swimmers.
You can visit the American Swimming Coaches Association’s (ASCA) website for more information.