7TH FINA WORLD JUNIOR SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS 2019
- 50-Meter Course
- Duna Arena, Budapest (Hungary)
- Pool swimming: Tuesday, August 20 – Sunday, August 25, 2019
- Heats 9:30am GMT+2 (3:30 am EDT / 12:30 am PDT)/ Semifinals and Finals 5:30pm GMT+2 (11:30am EDT / 8:30am PDT)
- Meet site
- Entries book
- FinaTV Live Stream (subscription required)
- Live results
A tough event double was just too much for American 17-year-old Luca Urlando this morning, as the 2018 Junior Pan Pacs gold medalist in the 100 fly missed the World Juniors final.
Urlando hit the highest highs and the lowest lows within tonight’s finals session. Coming in as the top 200 free qualifier and the 6th 100 fly qualifier out of heats, Urlando was a medal contender in both – but faced a lineup that separated the two events with just one girls event in between. He started out golden, winning the 200 free in 1:46.97 for his second gold medal of the meet so far. That event went off at 5:46 PM local time, per Omega results. At 6:04, the 100 fly kicked off, with Urlando drawing the first of two semifinals. He faded to just 53.24, seven tenths off his prelims time and 1.2 seconds from his career-best.
Urlando ended up 12th in that race, missing the final by about a half-second.
Urlando was one of three swimmers to qualify for the U.S. World Junior Championships roster in four individual events. Urlando, in particular, could supplement that with a bunch of relay entries. He already won gold as part of the boys 4×100 free relay. He should be part of the boys 4×100 medley relay and the boys 4×200 free relay. And after putting up one of the two fastest splits on the boys relay yesterday, he’s probably in line to swim the mixed 4×100 free relay tomorrow.
Start lists indicate he won’t swim this evening’s mixed medley relay, but Urlando will still have five more medal opportunities later this week.
Urlando’s remaining event lineup could look like this:
- Boys 4×100 free relay heats & finals (won gold)
- Boys 200 free heats & finals (won gold)
- Boys 100 fly heats & semifinals (missed final)
- Mixed 4×100 free relay heats and/or finals
- Boys 50 fly heats & semifinals
- Boys 4×200 free relay heats and/or finals
- Boys 50 fly finals
- Boys 200 fly heats & finals
- Boys 4×100 medley relay heats & finals