2016 SHORT COURSE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
- December 6th – December 11th, 2016
- Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- WFCU Centre
- SCM (25m)
- Prelims: 9:30 AM EST/Finals: 6:30 PM EST
- Start Lists/Results
- Live Stream ($)
Adam Barrett took down his own British record by a tenth of a second tonight to qualify first for the 100 fly world championship finals. Barrett’s 49.21 outswam his previous world cup silver British record 49.31 from Chartres in August.
His drop came on the first 50, which was .23 faster than his initial 50 in Chartres. Barrett was the only swimmer tonight to go out under 23. His splits are below:
- Chartres: 23.18, 26.13: 49.31
- Windsor: 22.95, 26.26: 29.21
After tonight’s swim, Barrett moves up to the the sixth-fastest swimmer in history. The top six are listed here:
- Chad le Clos, RSA: 48.44, 2014
- Evgeny Korotyshkin, RUS: 48.48, 2010
- Tom Shields, USA: 48.63, 2015
- Ian Crocker, USA: 49.07, 2004
- Milorad Cavic, SRB: 49.19, 2006
- Adam Barrett, USA: 49.21, 2016
He also holds his spot as the second-fastest swimmer in the world this year.
Tomorrow night, Barrett will take on both Shields and Le Clos for the world championship title. Shields came up second in semifinals with 49.46, and le Clos qualified third with 49.84. Barrett will have the chance to win his first-ever world championships medal.