2022 PN VAST 45th Annual Winter WA Open
- King County Aquatic Center, Federal Way, WA
- Jan. 13 – Jan. 17, 2022
- SCY (Short Course Yards)
- Prelims/Finals Format
- Results on MeetMobile “2022 Washington Open”
Over 550 athletes from the Pacific Northwest, Snake River, Oregon, Inland Empire, and Colorado LSCs competed at the 2022 Washington Open at King County Aquatic Center in Federal Way, WA. The meet was held Jan. 13 – Jan. 17.
14-year-old Tierney Lenahan of the Bainbridge Island Swim Club swam a 54.36 in the 100 back, a new best time. Lenahan’s US Open qualifying time ranks fourth in the 13-14 age group this season.
Top ranked 15-16 100 breastroker Piper Enge, 15, swam a 1:01.71 in the event. Her best time this season is a 59.83, which is the fastest in the 15-16 age group this season. Enge ranks 16th all-time in her age group in the SWIMS Database. Enge swims for the Bellevue Club Swim Team.
UCSB-commit Hazel Derr (class of 2022) swam a pair of best times in the 100 and 200 backstrokes. In the 200, Derr negative split the event, finishing in 1:57.18. She split 58.72/58.46 with her third 50 being her fastest.
Hazel Derr’s 200 back splits
|Distance||50 Split||100 Split|
In the 100 back, Derr went a best time of 54.10, dropping over a second from her previous best. Derr’s time is well over a second faster than the current top time at UCSB. Her 200 back is almost four seconds faster than anybody else on the team.
On the men’s side, Notre Dame-commit Marcus Gentry (class of 2022) had a best time in the 100 back, finishing in 47.61. Gentry’s time would make him the fastest 100 back on Notre Dame’s current roster. In the 200 back, Gentry added 0.32 and went 1:46.05. His 200 back would also rank first for the Irish this season.
Other Notable Swims
- Annemarie Vlaic (14) from Lake Oswego Swim Club went a best time in the 100 fly (55.44). The time is ranked 15th this season in the 13-14 age group. Vlaic also swam a 2:00.22 in the 200 fly. She was 1:58.92 at Winter Juniors, which currently ranks fourth in her age group.
- Vlaic’s Lake Oswego teammate 15-year-old Maeve DeYoung went best times in the 100 and 200 backstrokes, clocking in at 55.25 and 1:59.32, respectively. Both times meet the qualification standards for Juniors.
- 13-year-old Mena Boardman swam a 23.94 in the prelims of the 50 free. This is the 10th fastest 50 free by a 13-year-old this season. Boardman swims for the Portland Aquatic Club.
- 13-year-old Jack Wroblewski from Lake Oswego swam a 1:00.91 in the prelims of the 100 breast. This is the 11th fastest time by a 13-year-old this season.
- Aiden Hammer (14) from King Aquatic Club swam a personal best time of 1:42.37 in the 200 free. Hammer swam an evenly paced race, splitting 50.40/51.97 to earn the tenth-fastest time in the 13-14 age group this season.
- Lake Oswego’s Tenzin Wangpo swam the 8th fastest 200 fly in the 13-14 age group this season, coming in at 1:53.61. Wangpo dropped almost three seconds from his previous best time in the event.