Week 10 of collegiate men’s water poll saw the #1 team in the nation fall for the second straight week and also featured another Top 10 upset and three overtime affairs.
#4 USC put itself in the driver’s seat of the MPSF race, earning the top seed in the conference tournament with a 10-7 upset win over #1 UCLA. Marin Dasic led the way as the Trojans down their second #1 foe in a week, following a 9-8 win over then-#1 Stanford on Nov. 2.
#9 Harvard finished running the table on the regular season with its school-record tying 27th win of the season. The Crimson went 2-0 on the week, downing #18 Brown 10-4 on Saturday and MIT 14-5 on Sunday.
Gannon won the Mid-Atlantic Water Polo Conference Western Championship with a 15-14 overtime win over McKendree on Saturday. With the win, the Knights punched their ticket to the MAWPC Championships beginning Nov. 22. Drago Marjanovic scored seven goals in the win. The top seeded nights bested Mercyhurst 12-6 on Saturday to reach the final.
- #11 UC Davis def. #10 UC San Diego 9-7 – The Aggies boasted a 7-4 halftime advantage, thanks to a four-goal second quarter, and hung on from there for the road upset. UCSD outscored UC Davis 3-2 in the second half, but could not overcome the deficit. Eight players scored for the Aggies, including a two-goal output from Eric Martel. Connor Turnbow-Lindenstadt and Calder Hilde-Jones led the Tritons with two goals apiece. The UC Davis victory is the first in three tries against the Tritons in 2019, following a 12-8 loss on Sept. 8 and a 13-12 sudden death loss on Sept. 29.
- #4 USC def. #1 UCLA 10-7 – The Trojans jumped ahead 4-2 in the first quarter, including two scores by Jake Ehrhardt, and led 6-3 at the half before matching the Bruins goal for goal over the final two quarters for the win. USC led by as many as four in the second half at 10-6, before Nicolas Saveljic scored the final goal for UCLA with 31 seconds left. Marin Dasic notched a hat trick to lead USC, while Saveljic did the same for UCLA.
- #19 George Washington def. #14 Bucknell 11-10 -The Colonials grabbed control early, outscoring the Bison 4-1 in the opening quarter and bested them 3-2 in the final stanza to secure the 11-10 victory. Atakan Destici put in two goals in the first period for GW, while Andras Levai, Nick Schroder and Destici found the back of the net in the fourth to put the Colonials ahead 11-9. Rade Joksimovic scored the final goal of the night, but it was not enough to prevent the upset. Schroder logged a hat trick for GW, while Joksimovic did so for Bucknell.
- Wagner def. Navy 13-12 SD – After a 5-all halftime tie, Navy put in two goals to up 7-5, but Wagner scored three in a row to boast an 8-7 lead with eight minutes remaining. The Seahawks went up 10-7 with the first two goals of the fourth quarter. The teams traded goals before Bobby Lee, Cole Jacobs and Trevor Clark knotted the score at 11 with just over a minute to play. Once in overtime, Matthew Miller scored first for Wagner, but Lee countered with 23 seconds left in the second overtime period. Karl Lovett found the back of the net in sudden death to give the Seahawks the win.
- McKendree def. Salem 16-15 SD – Salem boasted a 7-6 lead at the half after scoring five goals in the second period, including two by Milos Popovic. The teams matched one another goal for goal in the third quarter, then McKendree rallied from down 11-9 behind Tony Sunagawa, Aaron Jacobs and Matt Haygood to send the game to overtime tied at 12. The Bearcats scored first in overtime, but Salem answered 30 seconds later. Down 15-13 with 2:30 to go in the second overtime after two scores by Joseph Mahan, Salem battled back on power play goals by Mike Diaz and Austin Kephart to knot the score at 15 with four seconds to play. In sudden death, Salem had a shot saved and McKendree hit the post, before Nico Rodriguez put in the game winner with 1:29 to go. Popovic, Michael Rojas and Robert Juhas each notched hat tricks for Salem, while Mahan, Adrian Maher and Jesus Osorio each scored three times for McKendree.
- Gannon def. McKendree 15-14 OT – Gannon scored two goals in the second overtime to secure the 15-14 win over the Bearcats and the MAWPC West Championship. The Knights pulled ahead 12-9 with a six-goal third quarter, including two scores each by Ethan Hamp and Drago Marjanovic, only to see McKendree outscore them 3-0 in the fourth period to force overtime. Matt Haygood put in two goals in the fourth quarter, including the game-tying score with 54 seconds left. Adrian Maher and Haygood gave the Bearcats a 14-13 lead after the first overtime. Jack Donnelly netted a goal to tie it up with 2:28 to play in the second extra stanza. Marjanovic deposited the game winner with three seconds left for his seventh score of the game. Haygood scored a hat trick for McKendree.
Collegiate Water Polo Week 10 Results
|Nov. 5||Cal Lutheran at Redlands||Cal Lutheran 15-11|
|Nov. 6||Cal Tech at Cal Lutheran||Cal Lutheran 13-8|
|#16 Fordham vs. Iona||Fordham 12-8|
|La Verne at Chapman||Chapman 17-14|
|RV Whittier at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps||Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 10-9|
|Redlands at Occidental||Redlands 14-9|
|Nov. 7||#11 UC Davis at #12 Loyola Marymount||UC Davis 12-9|
|Nov. 8||#16 Cal Baptist at RV Concordia (Irvine)||Cal Baptist 13-11|
|Air Force at Fresno Pacific||Air Force 15-9|
|Austin College Invite (Sherman, Texas)|
|Ottawa (Ariz.) at Austin College||Austin College 15-12|
|Penn State Behrend at Austin College||Penn State Behrend 20-16|
|Nov. 9||#16 Fordham at #19 George Washington||Fordham 14-13|
|#18 Brown at MIT||Brown 12-7|
|Wagner at Navy||Wagner 13-12 SD|
|Iona at #20 Princeton||Princeton 19-12|
|#4 USC at #2 UCLA||USC 10-7|
|Occidental at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps||Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 19-7|
|Cal Tech at Redlands||Redlands 16-11|
|Cal Lutheran at Chapman||Chapman 13-9|
|La Verne at RV Pomona-Pitzer||Pomona-Pitzer 16-8|
|Fresno Pacific at RV Santa Clara||Santa Clara 16-8|
|#8 Long Beach State at #6 Pepperdine||Pepperdine 10-9|
|#5 UC Santa Barbara at #13 San Jose State||UC Santa Barbara 13-9|
|#11 UC Davis at #10 UC San Diego||UC Davis 9-7|
|#15 UC Irvine at #3 Pacific||Pacific 19-9|
|#16 Fordham at Navy||Fordham 11-6|
|Wagner at #19 George Washington||George Washington 24-15|
|#18 Brown at #9 Harvard||Harvard 10-4|
|Occidental College at #12 Loyola Marymount||Loyola Marymount 20-10|
|RV St. Francis Brooklyn at #20 Princeton||Princeton 13-10|
|RV Pomona-Pitzer at RV Whittier||Whittier 7-5|
|Redlands at #16 Cal Baptist||Cal Baptist 13-7|
|#7 Cal at #2 Stanford||Stanford 15-8|
|Austin College Invite (Sherman, Texas)|
|Penn State Behrend at Austin College||Austin College 13-8|
|Penn State Behrend vs. Ottawa||Ottawa 12-8|
|Mid-Atlantic West Region Championships (Erie, Pa.)|
|Mercyhurst vs. Connecticut College||Mercyhurst 14-12|
|McKendree vs. Monmouth||McKendree 23-8|
|Salem vs. Washington & Jefferson||Salem 22-8|
|Connecticut College vs. Monmouth||Connecticut College 17-8|
|Gannon vs. Mercyhurst||Gannon 12-6|
|McKendree vs. Salem||McKendree 16-15 SD|
|Nov. 10||Navy at #14 Bucknell||Bucknell 14-10|
|#16 Fordham at Johns Hopkins||Fordham 11-8|
|MIT at #9 Harvard||Harvard 14-5|
|Wagner at Johns Hopkins||Johns Hopkins 23-22|
|Air Force at RV Santa Clara||Santa Clara 15-11|
|#15 UC Irvine at #7 Cal||Cal 10-7|
|#19 George Washington at #14 Bucknell||George Washington 11-10 SD|
|Mid-Atlantic West Region Championships|
|Washington & Jefferson vs. Monmouth||Washington & Jefferson 8-7|
|Washington & Jefferson vs. Connecticut College||Washington & Jefferson 9-8|
|Third Place: Mercyhurst vs. Salem||Salem 16-9|
|First Place: Gannon vs. McKendree||Gannon 15-14 OT|