FHSAA 3A District Championships
The 2019 Florida 3A State Series is officially underway with the completion of the 12 district championship meets. From here, the top 24 swimmers/relays in each event will move on to their respective regional championships before the coveted state championships.
Below you can find results from all district championship meets and the selections for each regional meet.
- Results for all districts
- Region 1 selection sheet (Districts 1-3)
- Region 2 selection sheet (Districts 4-6)
- Region 3 selection sheet (Districts 7-9)
- Region 4 selection sheet (Districts 10-12)
Here is a quick recap of the district champions and highlights over the past few days.
FHSAA CLASS 3A DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
- District 1: A. Crawford Mosley boys, Niceville girls
- District 2: Gainesville boys, Lawton Chiles girls
- District 3: Duncan U Fletcher boys, Ponte Vedra girls
- District 4: Lake Minneola boys, Lakeland girls
- District 5: JW Mitchel boys, Sunlake girls
- District 6: Melbourne boys, Viera girls
- District 7: Osceola Fundamental boys, Countryside girls
- District 8: Sarasota boys, Sarasota girls
- District 9: Barron Collier boys, Naples girls
- District 10: Martin County boys, Martin County girls
- District 11: Fort Lauderdale boys, Saint Thomas Aquinas girls
- District 12: Doral Academy boys, Doral Academy girls
CLASS 3A DISTRICT MEET HIGHLIGHTS
So far, only three All-America consideration times have been posted among the four regional clusters. Out of Region 3, Barrion Collier’s Andrew Garner takes the top seed in the 100 breast at 56.93. That time just missed his lifetime best of 56.74 from the 2019 Florida Spring Senior Championships. Last year, Garner took third at the state finals in this event. However, Garner will have a distant rival heading to the state meet. Doral Academy’s Carlos Nava also leads Region 4 with his top time of 56.55.
Out of the same region, West Boca Raton’s Michael Fernandez threw down a monster lifetime best in the 50 free with an All-American consideration time of 20.68. At last year’s state meet, Fernandez took 5th as a sophomore with a then-LTB of 21.28.
Meanwhile, 2018 state champion Belen senior Andres Wong (1:43.98) and junior teammate Hector Paz (1:45.53) lead the 200 free in the same region.
Inside Region 3, two-time 2018 state champion Olivia McMurray of Fort Myers leads the middle distance events. McMurray, who won the 200 free at last year’s state meet, switched back to the 200 IM and leads with a 2:07.66. In the 500 free, McMurray leads with a 4:56.90, flirting with the All-America consideration time by 0.05s.
Scoping Region 1’s top seeds, 2018 FHSAA 3A state champion Hayden Kwan of Chiles looks poised to defending his 100 back title. Kwan leads Region 1 with a 51.66, nearly 3 seconds ahead of #2 seed New Smyrna Beach’s Aaron Malecki (54.83).
The boys and girls of Sunlake currently hold 8 top seeds in Region 2, including the last year’s state title girls’ 200 medley relay (1:54.15). In the same region, Sunlake senior Jay Jay Fonnotto also leads the 100 back at 51.96, one second faster than his best 2018 state meet swim (52.99).