2016 ITALIAN SPRING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS AND OLYMPIC TRIALS
- Dates: Tuesday, April 19 – Saturday, April 23, 2016
- Times: Prelims 9:00 am, Finals 5:00 pm
- Location: Riccione, Italy (GMT +1, or 6 hours ahead of N.Y., 9 ahead of L.A.)
- Results: Available
Men’s 50 Fly- Prelims
- Italian record: 23.21, Piero Codia
- Olympic standards: N/A
- Piero Codia, Aniene: 23.52
- Matteo Revolt, Fiamme Oro Roma: 23.84
- Luda Dotto, Larus: 24.05
- Andrea Vergani, Gestisport: 24.16
- Daniele D’Angelo, Aniene: 24.24
- Geni Simone, Bologna 24.46
- Andrea Farru, Sassari: 24.53
- Francesco Giordano, Fiamme Oro Roma: 24.58
Piero Codia was the top qualifier in this morning’s 50 fly, posting the eighth-fastest time in the world this year. His 23.52 is his season-best, improving on his previous 9th-ranked 23.55 from Italian Winter Nationals.
There was a third of a second gap between Codia and second-place Matteo Revolt in 23.84. The two were the only swimmers under 24. Luda Dotto finished third in 24.05, followed closely by Andrea Vergani in 24.16.
Women’s 400 IM- Prelims
- Italian record: 4:34.34, Alessia Filippi
- Olympic standards: A-4:36.6, B-4:38.0
- Luisa Trombetti, Fiamme Oro Roma: 4:45.67
- Carlotta Toni, Florentia: 4:45.95
- Sara Franceschi, Livorno: 4:46.53
- Ilaria Cusinato, Veneto: 4:48.45
- Stefania Pirozzi, Fiamme Oro Roma: 4:51.53
- Alessia Polieri, Fiamme Gialle: 4:51.54
- Anna Pirovano, Vitorria Alata: 4:51.69
- Susanna Negri, Lombardia: 4:54.60
The women’s 400 IM will shape up to be a race among Luisa Trombetti, Carlotta Toni, and Sara Franceschi. Trombetti finished first this morning with 4:45.67, closely followed by Toni in 4:45.95. Franceschi was third in 4:46.53. The three will have to make big improvements tonight to make the A cut of 4:36.6 and the B cut of 4:38.0.
Ilaria Cusinato was the only other swimmer under 4:50, clocking 4:48.45.
Men’s 400 Free- Prelims
- Italian record: 3:43.40, Massimiliano Rosolino
- Olympic standards: A-3:46.1, B-3:47.3
- Gabriele Detti, Lombardia: 3:46.85
- Andrea Mitchell D’Arrigo, Aurelia: 3:52.10
- Nicolangelo Di Fabio, Lombardia: 3:52.81
- Domenico Acerenza, Larus: 3:53.15
- Alex Di Gorgio, Aniene: 3:53.37
- Samuel Pizzetti, Carabinieri: 3:53.85
- Matteo Ciampi, Livorno: 3:54.41
- Mattia Zuin, Fiamme Oro Roma: 3:55.43
Former 800m European record holder Gabriele Detti came close to the Italian A standard this morning, hitting the wall five seconds ahead of second place. Detti is currently ranked fifth in the world with his 3:46.46 from Italian Winter Nationals.
Andrea Mitchell finished second in 3:52.10, followed by Nicolangelo Di Fabio in 3:52.81.
Women’s 200 Back- Prelims
- Italian record: 2:08.03, Alessia Filippi
- Olympic standards: A-2:09.0, B-2:09.6
- Margherita Panziera, Aniene: 2:12.18
- D.S. Zofkova Costa, Imolanuoto: 2:14.02
- Letizia Paruscio, Aniene: 2:14.62
- Elisa Maloni, Valdimagra: 2:15.06
- Camilla Tinelli, Vittorino da Feltre: 2:15.25
- Lorena Barfucci, Gestisport: 2:15.42
- Ambra Esposito, Napoli: 2:15.82
- Viverit Francesca, Torino: 2:17.04
Margherita Panziera swam the top time this morning in the 200 back, posting a 2:12.18 and coming in nearly two seconds ahead of the competition.
D.S. Zofkova Costa finished second in 2:14.02, and Letizia Paruscio was the other swimmer under 2:15, hitting the wall in 2:14.62.
Men’s 200 Back- Prelims
- Italian record: 1:56.91, Damiano Lestingi
- Olympic standards: A- 1:56.8, B-1:57.3
- Matteo Restivo, Florentia: 1:59.28
- Michele Malerba, Larus: 1:59.33
- Luca Mencarini, Fiamme Oro Roma: 1:59.71
- Christopher Ciccarese, Fiamme Oro Roma: 1:59.99
- Simone Sabbioni, Esercito: 2:00.49
- Jacopo Bietti, Aniene: 2:00.59
- Mattia Avera, Aniene: 2:00.66
- Emanuel Turchi, Ancona: 2:01.62
Tonight’s men’s 200 back will come down to a race among Matteo Restivo, Michele Malerba, Luca Mencarini, and Christopher Ciccarese. The four swimmers all finished under 2:00 this morning.
Restivo finished first in 1:59.28, followed by Malerba in 1:59.33. Mencarini hit the wall third in 1:59.71, and Ciccarese came in fourth with 1:59.99
Women’s 100 Fly- Prelims
- Italian record: 57.27, Ilaria Bianchi
- Olympic standards: A- 57.7, B- 58.2, C- 58.6
- Ilaria Bianchi, Azzurre: 58.18
- Elena Di Liddo, Aniene: 1:00.04
- Arianna Letrari, Bolzano: 1:00.28
- Aurora Petronio, Torino: 1:00.29
- Claudia Tarzia, Esercito: 1:00.40
- Emanuela Albenzi, Lombardia: 1:01.00
- Alice Loffredo, Gestisport: 1:01.23
- Valentina Zonno, Larus: 1:01.50
Italian record holder Ilaria Bianchi swam the 100 fly in 58.18, not quite hitting her season best of 57.80 from Italian Winter Nationals, currently ranked 17th in the world. She finished nearly two seconds ahead of second place.
Elena Di Liddo finished second in 1:00.04, followed by Arianna Letrari in 1:00.28. Aurora Petronio finished a hundredth of a second back in 1:00.29.