In the SwimSwam Podcast dive deeper into the sport you love with insider conversations about swimming. Hosted by Coleman Hodges, Garrett McCaffrey, and Gold Medal Mel Stewart, SwimSwam welcomes both the biggest names in swimming that you already know, and rising stars that you need to get to know, as we break down the past, present, and future of aquatic sports.
3-time World Champion, 2-time Olympic Champion and Team Speedo Athlete, Zach Apple, gets raw and real about his 2020 Olympic performance. Zach let’s us inside his head, inside the highs and lows of his Olympic roller coaster experience.
Apple launched his first Olympic Games anchoring Team USA’s 4×100 free relay with a monster 46.6 split, propelling them to gold in 3:08.97. Apple details the emotional high. It was challenging to muster his energy to step back up and tackle the 100 free and the 4×200 free relay in the same session. The result was NOT pretty. It was brutal. Apple died on the back-half of his 200 leg, splitting 1:47.3. Team USA finished off the podium. Nasty comments and Instagram DMs followed.
Apple doubted himself, wondering if and how he could anchor the 4×100 medley. From lane one, Apple finished meet, day 8, final swim, and the final touch on the wall in 46.9, good enough for Olympic gold and a new world record.
I loved talking to Apple. He dives deep detailing his early days in the sport, committing to Western Kentucky, then going Auburn, and finally landing at Indiana his senior year in college. This podcast is about resilience, about learning from mistakes or whatever life throws at you, and persevering. Stay tuned to the end to hear his Make Waves moment. You’ll appreciate it.
SWIMSWAM PODCAST LINKS
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Spotify
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Apple Podcasts
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Podbean
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Google
- Click here to listen and subscribe on YouTube
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Listen Notes
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Stitcher
- Click here to listen and subscribe on iHeartRadio
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Amazon
- Click here to listen and subscribe on Pandora
Music: Otis McDonald
Opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of the interviewed guests do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs, and viewpoints of the hosts, SwimSwam Partners, LLC and/or SwimSwam advertising partners.