Utah vs UNLV
- Saturday, November 4th
- Salt Lake City, UT
- Short course yards
- Utah: 188
- UNLV: 107
- Utah: 171
- UNLV: 123
Utah swept UNLV in a dual meet on Saturday, November 4th. The Rebels only won 8 of 32 events on the day, 4 of which were won due to Utah swimming exhibition.
Utah Freshman Rodolfo Moreira had a big performance on the men’s 200 medley relay, anchoring in 19.27. The medley relay won with a time of 1:28.40, a little over half a second slower than their season best. Utah’s Paul Ungur won the 100 back and 100 fly in 47.37 and 48.34, which have become typical dual meet times for Ungur this season. Nathan Makarewicz swept the men’s diving events, winning the 1 meter by nearly 100 points.
Ida Schutt was the only double individual event winner for UNLV, taking 1st in the women’s 200 IM (2:09.88) and 500 free (5:06.25). Sarah Lott of Utah won the women’s 100 back with a 55.45. Dorien Butter took the women’s sprint free events, taking the 50 in 23.90 and the 100 in 51.16.
- 200 medley relay: Utah (Lott, Robinson, St. John, Butter), 1:43.14
- 1000 free: Sara McClendon (Utah), 10:23.72
- 200 free: Ianire Casarin (Utah), 1:53.02
- 100 back: Sarah Lott (Utah), 55.45
- 100 breast: Genny Robertson (Utah), 1:04.66
- 200 fly: Christina Pick (Utah), 2:07.79
- 50 free: Dorien Butter (Utah), 23.90
- 100 free: Dorien Butter (Utah), 51.16
- 200 back: Kyndal Phillips (UNLV), 2:04.35
- 200 breast: Genny Robertson (Utah), 2:18.94
- 500 free: Ida Schutt (UNLV), 5:06.25
- 100 fly: Kate Afanasyeva (UNLV), 57.27
- 200 IM: Ida Schutt (UNLV), 2:09.88
- 200 free relay: UNLV (Carnevale, Schuette, Schreiber, Smith), 1:36.92
- 1 meter diving: Clare Greenlow (Utah), 277.13
- 3 meter diving: Myka Fielding (UNLV), 313.95
- 200 medley relay: Utah (Ungur, Burton, Scott, Moreira), 1:28.40
- 1000 free: Brody Lewis (Utah), 9:39.01
- 200 free: Grant Norgin (UNLV), 1:40.15
- 100 back: Paul Ungur (Utah), 47.37
- 100 breast: Jack Burton (Utah), 57.12
- 200 fly: Chris Taber (Utah), 1:51.96
- 50 free: Rodolfo Moreira (Utah), 20.86
- 100 free: Felix Chiun (Utah), 45.77
- 200 back: Daniel McArthur (Utah), 1:53.11
- 200 breast: Ganem Tebet Baez (Utah), 2:05.77
- 500 free: Rahiti De Vos (Utah), 4:34.49
- 100 fly: Paul Ungur (Utah), 48.34
- 200 IM: Francois Van Wynsberghe (UNLV), 1:57.45
- 200 free relay: UNLV (Beesly, Sabatier, Theall, Tarazona), 1:22.41
- 1 meter diving: Nathan Makarewicz (Utah), 362.48
- 3 meter diving: Nathan Makarewicz (Utah), 343.88
Press Release – Utah:
SALT LAKE CITY – The University of Utah swimming and diving teams defeated the UNLV Rebels this afternoon at the Ute Natatorium. The men won with a score of 171-123, while the women came out on top of the Rebels, 188-107.
“I feel good about the win today,” said head coach Joe Dykstra. “We’ve had a little bit of race-fatigue with so many meets back-to-back, so I felt good about the energy, enthusiasm, and competitiveness that the team put up today.
Some of our times were good, some of them were rough, and I’m fine with that considering the tough week of practice that we had. In conclusion, I’m really excited about the team dynamics more than anything else.”
To start things off, the Utes won the women’s 200 medley relay team as Sarah Lott, Genevieve Robertson, Gillian St. John and Dorien Butter, were able to place first with a time of 1:43.14. The men’s 200 medley team was also able to get a win, with Paul Ungur, Jack Burton, Ben Scott and Rodolfo Moreira clocking in at 1:28.40.
In the 100 back, Ungur was able to place first with a final time of 47.37. He would also capture the 100 fly, finishing with a time of 48.34. Robertson kept things rolling for the women, winning the 100 (1:04.66) and 200 breast (2:18.94)
In the 100 breast, Jack Burton placed first with a final time of 57.12. Christina Pick was then able take the 200 fly, clocking in at 2:07.79. Chris Taber also picked up a win in the 200 fly, finishing with a time of 1:51.96.
In the 50 yard free, both the men and women were able to card first place finishes. Rodolfo Moreira finished with a time of 20.86, while Butter clocked in at 23.90. Butter would also place first in 100 free, with a time of 51.16.
In diving, freshman Clare Greenlow was able to finish in first place in the 1 meter with a score of 277.13, eighth-best all-time at Utah. Nathan Makarewicz also contributed to the win total today, by placing first in both the 1 meter and 3 meter. Makarewicz finished with a score of 362.48 in the 1 meter, and a score of 343.88 in the 3 meter, both top five marks all-time
Utah also found success in the 100 free as freshman Felix Chiun swam a 45.77. Daniel McArthur then came out on top in the 200 back, clocking in at 1:53.11, while Ganem Tebet finished in first place of the 200 breast (2:05.77). Rahiti De Vos then capped things off for the Utes, placing first in the 500 free with a time of 4:34.49.
The swimming and diving team will be back in action November 16-18, as they will travel to Texas A&M to participate in the Art Adamson Invitational.
Press Release – UNLV:
The UNLV men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams were handed a pair of dual meet losses on the road Saturday at PAC-12 rival Utah. The Rebel men lost by a score of 188-107, while the women fell by a total of 171-123.
THE RUNDOWN – MEN:
* Freshman Grant Nogan won the Rebels’ first event, posting a time of 1:40.15 in the 200 free. Forrest Beesley took third in the race (1:43.09).
* Francsois Van Wynsberge was a close second in the 100 breast in 57.41.
* Avi Cohen was the runner-up in the 200 fly in 1:52.90.
* The Rebels went 2-3 in the 50 free, as Or Sabatier went 21.33 while Dylan Tarazona posted a 21.49 for third.
* Robert Morgan scored 266.93 on the 1-meter board to place third.
* Beesley was the top Rebel finisher in the 100 free in 46.03.
* Van Wynsberge paced UNLV in the 200 breast with a second place swim (2:06.46).
* Norgan posted a 4:43.40 in the 500 free to finish second.
* Tarazona finished second in the 100 fly (49.61).
* Jesse Cawley had the top UNLV score on the 3-meter board (288.15), good for second.
* The 200 free relay team of Beesley, Sabatier, Mark Theall and Tarazona turned in a time of 1:22.41 and would earn first place points.
THE RUNDOWN – WOMEN:
* Ida Schutt posted a third place swim in the 1000 free (10:33.78), won the 50 free in 5:06.23 and had the top UNLV time in the 200 IM (2:09.88).
* Lauren Smith took second in the 200 free (1:53.92) and third in the 500 free (5:07.68).
* Freshman Kate Afanasyeva won the 100 fly (57.27) and was third in the 100 back (57.15).
* Sofia Carnevale was the second place finisher in the 100 breast (1:05.57) and also took second in the 200 breast (2:06.46).
* Freshman Tara Wise led UNLV in the 200 fly, with a time of 2:09.94.
* Another freshman, Caitlyn Schreiber, was third in the 50 free (24.25).
* Mykalla Fielding was first on the 3-meter (3:13.95) and second on the 1-meter (273.83).
* Kyndall Phillips took the 200 back race with a time of 2:04.35.
* The 200 free relay team of Carnevale, Sydney Schuette, Schreiber and Smith turned in a time of 1:36.92 and earned first-place points.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: UNLV’s divers will compete in the USC Diving Invite from Nov. 10-12 in Los Angeles. The Rebels swimmers will return to the poll in the Texas Invite, held on Nov. 29-Dec. 2 in Austin, Texas.