2016 SMU Women’s Classic
- Hosted by Southern Methodist University
- Friday, October 14th – Saturday, October 15th
- 25 yards
- Invite format
Team Scores Through Day 1:
- Michigan- 157
- USC- 156
- Louisville- 155
- UCLA- 137
- SMU- 117
- Miami- 82
On day 1 of the 2016 SMU Women’s Classic, USC freshman Louise Hansson and Louisville All-American Mallory Comerford swam to a photo finish in the 200 free. Hansson got to the wall a nail faster, winning in 1:43.04 to Comerford’s 1:43.13. Hansson also posted the fastest time of the night in the 100 back with a 52.34 to win the B-Final for the Trojans.
All-American Marne Erasmus brought home a win for host team SMU. Erasmus won the 100 fly in 53.20, followed closely by Michigan’s Vanessa Krause (53.38) and Louisville’s Grace Oglesby (53.64).
Louisville breaststroke standout Andee Cottrell raced to a sub-1:00 in the 100 breast. She won that race in 59.58, putting her well ahead of the rest of the field. USC’s Riley Scott was 2nd in 1:00.28, followed by SMU’s Tara-Lynn Nicholas in 1:01.65. Scott’s teammate Kirsten Vose had the 3rd fastest time of the night, posting a 1:00.50 from the B-final.
Additional Event Winners:
- 400 Medley Relay- Louisville, 3:33.44
- 400 IM- Emma Schanz, 4:09.52
- 100 Back- Matea Samarzdic, 52.92
- 50 Free- Casey Fanz, 22.64
- 800 Free Relay- Michigan, 7:03.07
- 1-meter Diving- Naomi Gowlett