Fall is in full swing now, pumpkin patches, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin pie… if you can’t get enough pumpkin in your life then these Pumpkin Spice Energy Bites are another fun addition to the fall lineup! These energy bites are packed with 2 types of nuts, 2 types of seeds, and warm pumpkin spices that taste like a warm hug.
Choosing to snack on tree nuts can add extra protein, fiber, and vitamins which will keep you energized and satisfied. There are many kinds of tree nuts and each boast different nutrients but typically a 1-ounce serving of nuts provides 6 grams of protein and 2-4 grams of fiber.
Pistachios: are loaded with potassium which is an important mineral to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance and control blood pressure. Pistachios also contain vitamin B6, a nutrient that supports immune and nervous system function and the creation of healthy red blood cells.
Almonds: also have unique nutrients than most other tree nuts. Almonds are high in Vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps regulate stress response and support the immune system. Most surprising of all, almonds contain higher levels of calcium than most non-dairy foods!
Almonds and pistachios are the star ingredients in the Pumpkin Spice Energy Bites. Since these bites are high in protein and healthy fats, they are slow-digesting and would be best consumed 2-3 hours before practice or a workout to avoid stomach upset – making it the perfect after-lunch snack.
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats (5)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (1)
- ¼ cup almond butter (13)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped pistachios (6.5)
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed (6)
- ¼ cup honey (or use maple syrup)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds (4)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice OR (1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, and1/8 tsp ground ginger)
- Optional: 3 tbsp fun Halloween or fall sprinkles
How to make:
- Measure out all the ingredients.
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl, and mix together until the mixture is evenly combined.
- Scoop out a spoonful of the mixture and roll into golf ball-sized balls.
- Place into a container and store in the refrigerator and enjoy!