2016 Short Course New England Senior Championships
- Thursday, December 15th-Sunday, December 18th
- Sports and Recreation Center, WPI, Worcester, MA
- Meet Info
- Short Course Yards
Several swimmers and relay teams shattered records at the 2016 New England Senior Championships last weekiend. Between the NE Records and RES Records that were broken, 15 total records went down. Individually, Bluefish Swim Club’s 15-year-old River Wright downed the 15-18 RES Record with his 48.21 in the 100 fly prelims. He was right on that with a 48.26 in the final, just missing the open RES Record by a couple tenths. In addition to his record-setting swim in the 100 fly, Wright picked up victories in the 100 back (49.08), 200 IM (1:49.06), and 100 breast (55.97).
Commonwealth Swimming’s Natalie Mannion also downed records individually, first breaking the 11-12 NE and RES Records with her 1:52.10 in the 200 free prelims. Mannion went on the finish 8th in the championship final of that race. Her next 11-12 NE Record came in the 500 free, where she clocked a 5:01.04 to take 6th in the final.
In addition to those individual records, 11 relay records were broken:
- Girls 200 Free Relay (NE Record, RES Open Record)- 1:34.34, Gator Swim Club: Jacey Hinton, Cathleen Li, Isabella Garbacz, Maddie Wallis
- Girls 400 Free Relay (RES Open Record)- 3:24.85, Gator Swim Club: Garbacz, Li, Hinton, Wallis
- Girls 200 Medley Relay (RES Open Record)- 1:44.73 Gator Swim Club: Wallis, Garbacz, Li, Hinton
- Girls 200 Free Relay (15-18 NE Record)- 1:34.94, Badger Swim Club: Carly Cummings, Quinn Scannell, Kimberly Jogis, Paula Anne Scanlan
- Girls 400 Free Relay (13-14 NE Record, RES Record)- 3:30.34, GS: Teresa Ivan, Chloe Song, Michele Muchnik, Vivian Weng
- Boys 200 Free Relay (15-18 NE Record)- 1:23.32, Bluefish Swim Club: Will Barao, River Wright, David Fitch, Harry Homans
- Boys 400 Free Relay (15-18 NE Record)- 3:03.47, Bluefish Swim Club: Wright, Fitch, Homans, Barao
- Girls 400 Medley Relay (13-14 NE Record, RES Record)- 3:53.64, PHX: Callie Breiter, Allegra Walker, Emily Clements, Grace Walker
A handful of swimmers picked up multiple events wins, including Badger Swim Club’s Ryan Feeley, who won the 50 free (20.39), 100 free (44.90), and 200 free (1:38.75). Gator Swim Club’s Maddie Wallis, who helped her team set records in 3 relays, was an individual winner in the 100 back (55.01), 50 free (23.24), and 100 free (50.48).