2016 Russia Cup
- July 17th-18th, 2016
- Ruza, Russia
- Long Course Meters
- Full, live results available here
Svetlana Chimrova has broken her own Russian National Record in the 100 meter butterfly by .01 seconds.
On day 1 of the 2016 Russia Cup in Ruza, Chimrova swam a 57.78, which skimmed .01 seconds from her own Russian Record in the 100 fly (57.79) set earlier this year at the Russian Olympic Trials.
This is the 4th time in her career that Chimrova has been under 58 seconds, with all 4 of those swims coming in 2016. She’s held the record since 2013, and has lowered the standard now four times since.
- 2013 Record: 27.24/30.98 = 58.22
- March Record: 26.58/31.24 = 57.82
- Trials Prelims: 26.93/30.98 = 57.91
- Trials Finals: 26.58/31.21 = 57.79
- Russia Cup finals: 27.08/30.70 = 57.78
The 20-year old Chimrova hasn’t had much consistency in pacing in her previous run of record-setting swims, and that continues here where she was half-a-second slow of her prior record-setting pace going out, but made up the difference coming back.
Other highlights of the meet’s first day:
- Veronika Popova swam 1:57.53 in the 200 free – putting her well ahead of her pace from this same meet in 2015, but about on track to where she was the two seasons prior.
- Mikhail Dorinov took more than half-a-second from his previous lifetime best in the 200 breaststroke with a 2:09.96. He had been 2:10.58 in the semi-finals of Russia Olympic Trials, but wound up just 5th in the final there to miss the Russian Olympic Team. Anton Chupkov (2:10.11), who won this event at the Russian Trials, was 2nd to Dorinov in Ruza.
- Oleg Kostin picked up a sprint double, winning the 50 breaststroke in 27.66 and 50 fly in 23.31.
- Teenager Daria K. Ustinova grabbed two gold medals of her own by winning both of Sunday’s backstroke races. She swam 29.09 over 50 meters and 2:11.10 over 200 meters.