2017 UTAH 2A HIGH SCHOOL STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
The Emery High School boys and Grand County High School girls swam to victory last Thursday at the 2017 Utah 2A High School State Championships. Several 2A State Records fell throughout the meet.
Maeser Prep’s Tony Puertas was one of the top performers on the men’s side, breaking multiple State Records. Puertas dominated the field in the 200 IM, charging to a 1:57.95 to erase the former record of 1:59.63 set by Benjamin Williamore in 2014. He earned his next state title in the 100 fly, touching in 51.29 to slash a full 4 seconds of the former State Record of 55.81 set by Jacob Brook in 2015.
Grand County’s Mary Kimmerle and Alexa Pierce each set individual State Records to help their team to victory. Kimmerle’s record came in the 50 free, where she won gold in a quick 25.55. Pierce, on the other hand, won the 100 fly in a new record of 1:01.57. She was also the 200 IM champion earlier in the session, touching in 2:17.45.
Also setting individual 2A State Records were Grand County’s Braxten Pierce in the 200 free (1:48.82), Millard’s Drew Roper in the 100 back (1:00.74), Summit Academy’s Johan Boer in the 100 back (56.42), and Telos Academy’s Nick Killian in the 100 breast (1:02.55).
Additional Event Winners:
- Women’s 200 Medley Relay: Grand County High School, 1:56.56*
- Men’s 200 Medley Relay: Emery High School, 1:44.70*
- Women’s 200 Free: River Richards, 2:09.17
- Men’s 50 Free: Nick Killian, 22.48
- Women’s 100 Free: Rachel McMaster, 56.96
- Men’s 100 Free: Daryl Guymon, 50.30
- Women’s 500 Free: Olivia Reynolds, 6:00.22
- Men’s 500 Free: Braxten Pierce, 5:08.31
- Women’s 200 Free Relay: Grand County High School, 1:45.10*
- Men’s 200 Free Relay: Emery High School, 1:33.88*
- Women’s 100 Breast: London Richards, 1:15.08
- Women’s 400 Free Relay: Emery High School, 4:17.37
- Men’s 400 Free Relay: Rowland Hall High School, 3:37.69
*= 2A State Record