2017 UTAH 3A HIGH SCHOOL STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
The Park City High School boys and girls swam to another dominant team victory last weekend at the 2017 Utah 3A High School State Championships. Senior Joelle Hess was one of the major players for the Park City girls, winning 2 individual titles.
In one of her swims, the 100 breast, Hess set a new 3A State Record. She dominated the field, setting the new record at 1:05.51 to finish almost 4 full seconds ahead of anyone else. That time cleared the former mark of 1:06.00 set by Blaire McDowell in 2015. Hess also nearly broke the State Record in the 200 IM. She was just tenths shy of it when she won gold in 2:09.19.
Junior Cole Peterson was a multiple individual event winner for the Park City boys. He nearly cleared the 2:00 barrier in the 200 IM, touching in 2:00.26 to take gold ahead of Bear River’s Alec Chournos (2:01.65). Peterson returned to the pool for the 100 back, using his front half speed to gain an edge over teammate Quentin Tyler. They were closely matched throughout the race, but Peterson won it in 52.43 to Tyler’s 52.84.
Additional Event Winners:
- Women’s 200 Medley Relay: Park City High School, 1:47.13*
- Men’s 200 Medley Relay: Park City High School, 1:41.01
- Women’s 200 Free: Elise Beller, 1:57.11
- Men’s 200 Free: Ryan Bunn, 1:45.62
- Women’s 50 Free: Rozie Selznick, 23.80
- Men’s 50 Free: Karson Christensen, 22.01
- Women’s 100 Fly: Katelyn Gross, 58.32
- Men’s 100 Fly: Ryan Bunn, 54.83
- Women’s 100 Free: Rozie Selznick, 51.87
- Men’s 100 Free: Alex Yokubison, 48.26
- Women’s 500 Free: Elise Beller, 5:16.16
- Men’s 500 Free: JR Gustat, 5:03.10
- Women’s 200 Free Relay: Cedar City High School, 1:39.06
- Men’s 200 Free Relay: Cedar City High School, 1:31.79
- Women’s 100 Back: Katie Hale, 56.96
- Men’s 100 Breast: Garrett Dotson, 1:01.73
- Women’s 400 Free Relay: Park City High School, 3:34.82*
- Men’s 400 Free Relay: Park City High School, 3:14.17
*= 3A State Record