2016 MICHIGAN DIV. 2 GIRLS STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
- MHSAA State Tournament page
- Friday, November 18th-Saturday, November 19th
- EMU Jones Pool, Ypsilanti, MI
- 25 yards
FINAL TOP 5 TEAM SCORES:
- Seaholm- 287.5
- Dexter- 250
- Forest Hills Central- 215
- Portage Central- 153
- Grosse Pointe South- 140
The 2016 Michigan Divsion 2 High School State Championships are in the books, and the Seaholm girls are your 2016 state champions after scoring 287.5 points. Taking the runner-up honors were the girls from Dexter with 250 points. Rounding out the top 3 with a score of 215 points was Forest Hills Central.
Seaholm’s Haley Dolan swam to an individual state title to help her school come up with the team victory. Dolan, a junior, closcked a quick 23.56 to get her hand on the wall first for the gold. Also breaking the 24-second barrier to round out the medals behind her were Midland Dow’s Claire Newman (23.82) and Seaholm’s Linnea Anderson (23.94). In addition to her 50 free victory, Dolan also placed 5th in the 100 free.
Winning the 100 free was Anette Schultz, a junior at Dexter, who dominated the race with her 50.30, finishing over 1.5 seconds ahead of the field. Schultz was a 2-time state champion at this meet, having won the 200 free earlier in the session as well. In that event, she was the only swimmer to break 1:50, clocking a 1:48.27 for the gold medal. She was even faster in her prelims swim, clocking a 1:48.03.
Also winning double gold was Forest Hills Central junior Felicity Buchmaier, who competed in the 100 fly and 100 back. Buchmaier just barely missed the State Record in the 100 fly, coming within hundredths of that mark to repeat as state champion with her 54.04. She then went on to win her 2nd gold of the night in the 100 back, where she clocked a 55.30.
Additional Event Winners:
- 200 IM- Vicki Postus, Byron Center, 2:05.40
- 500 free- Julia Boswell, Royal Oak, 5:05.59
- 100 breast- Charlotte Pierce, Birmingham Groves, 1:03.04
- 200 medley relay- Seaholm (McMaster, Russell, Anderson, Dolan), 1:43.98
- 200 free relay- Seaholm (Anderson, Russell, Erickson, Dolan), 1:35.49
- 400 free relay- Dexter (Kinnard, Kacmarek, Zofchak, Schultz), 3:31.14