2016 LOS ANGELES INVITATIONAL
- Where: Uytengsu Aquatic Center (USC)
- Dates: July 14th-July 17th, 2016
- Results: (Meet Mobile)
- LAI Psych Sheet
- LAI Timelines
- Meet Preview
On day 3 of the 2016 LA Invitational, Russia’s Yuliya Efimova swam her first race since the lifting of her FINA ban for testing positive for the banned substance Meldonium earlier this year. Efimova won the race in 2:22.77, putting her almost 10 seconds ahead of the field. That time is just over a second slower than her season best 2:21.41 from the 2016 Arena Pro Swim in Orlando, which currently ranks her 2nd in the world as we head towards Rio.
In the women’s 50 free, Cal-based Egyptian sprinter Farida Osman and Arizona’s Olympic Trials finalist Katrina Konopka went head to head in a race that was very close down to the finish. Osman got her hand on the wall first for the win in 25.07, just beating out Konopka, who swam a 25.16 for 2nd.
On the men’s side, Trojan Swim Club swept the 200 free podium with Cristian Quintero, Nikita Lobintsev, and Dylan Carter. Quintero was the fastest man to the wall, touching in 1:49.22 for the win. Narrowly behind him were Lobintsev (1:49.41) and Carter (1:49.51), while Long Guitierrez (1:49.74) also swam sub-1:50 for 4th.
Russian speedster Vlad Morozov, who won last night’s 100 free, came out on top again tonight, this time taking the win in the men’s 50 free. Morozov won the race in 22.07, topping Russian teammates Alex Suhrokov (22.41) and Lobintsev (22.71).
Other Event Winners
- Men’s 1500 Free: Tyler Jones, 15:54.96
- Women’s 200 IM: Nikol Popov, 2:18.12
- Men’s 200 Breast: Gage Crosby, 2:16.12
- Women’s 400 Free: Kathryn Campbell, 4:14.75
- Men’s 400 IM: Colin Eriks, 4:29.58
- Women’s 800 Free Relay: Highlands Ranch Aquatics, 8:35.19
- Men’s 800 Free Relay: Irvine Novaquatics, 7:37.48