Kazan World Championships to be broadcast on 70 TV and radio stations

The Russian Swimming Federation announced last week that this summer’s FINA World Championships will be broadcast by 70 TV and radio providers over Europe, Asia and North and South America.

WWF, the Russian Swimming Federation, noted in its press release that 54 television and 16 radio broadcasters will air the 2015 World Championships, the bulk of which are from Europe. WWF also reports that several Asian companies (including China and Japan, and also some Southeast Asian areas like Singapore and the Phillipines) will broadcast, plus some from “North and South America and the Middle East.”

You can view the WWF press release here, in its original Russian. The federation estimates the potential audience at 4.5 billion, though that seems  like a very optimistic figure, perhaps based solely on the reach of the 70 broadcasters in on the World Championships.

WWF pointed out its desire to grow the profile of swimming in terms of spectators, and noted that the event will be the first time FINA has hosted its World Championships inside of a full-fledged football stadium, something that should certainly make for an interesting spectacle this summer. That stadium is pictured in our headline photo, which comes from the closing ceremonies of the 2013 World University Games.

9
Leave a Reply

4 Comment threads
5 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
6 Comment authors
newest oldest most voted
Lane Four

If the championships are broadcast on Universal Sports (as they were in 2013), then I will not be seeing them AGAIN! I remember in 2013 the SwimSwam readers without Universal were depending on those who were watching live for lap by lap results. It was frustrating but extremely exciting as well!

jarrrettbrown

I agree totally. It sucks that a company that is own by NBCUNIVERSAL (8% BTW the other 92% is owned by InterMedia Partners) would have better distribution. I hate how I have to constantly ask my carrier, Cablevision, to carry it and getting no results. I wish that someone who has the channel would share their password with us so that we can all watch it live online.

Lane Four

Amen to that.

it will indeed be on USN for monday-friday and NBC on the weekends. pester your cable provider or switch to directv. live streaming with the exception of the nbc and espn websites is very unrealiable.

beachmouse

Or you can get Universal Sports via Sling TV/Dishworld using your streaming device of choice. They’ll even throw beIN into their sport package, which gets you the odd World Cup meet.

Lane Four

I will definitely look at this. Thank you, Beachmouse.

bobo gigi

I feel sorry for you, swimming American fans.
But if you had a TV public channel which broadcasts all the meet all week like in most of the European countries, then you could watch these world championships live, free, without a TV commercial every 5 minutes and especially the ENTIRE 1500 free race of Katie Ledecky! 🙂

as they say there is no free lunch, someone is paying for this type of coverage some way. even with live streaming which is usually free you get inundated with numerous pop up ads.

About Jared Anderson

Jared Anderson

Jared Anderson swam for nearly twenty years. Then, Jared Anderson stopped swimming and started writing about swimming. He's not sick of swimming yet. Swimming might be sick of him, though. Jared was a YMCA and high school swimmer in northern Minnesota, and spent his college years swimming breaststroke and occasionally pretending …

Read More »

Want to take your swimfandom to the next level?

Subscribe to SwimSwam Magazine!