2019 U.S. OPEN SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- December 4th-7th, 2019
- McCauley Aquatic Center, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, Georgia
- LCM (50m), Prelims/Finals
- Psych sheets
- Pre-scratch timeline
- Live stream (all sessions beside A finals on Friday/Saturday)
- Live results
Reported by Anne Lepesant.
WOMEN’S 400M FREE – FINAL
- American record: 3:56.46, 8/7/2016, Katie Ledecky
- U.S. Open record: 3:57.94, 5/17/2018, Katie Ledecky
- U.S. Open Meet record: 4:05.45, 12/20/1987, Janet Evans
- Katie Ledecky, Nation’s Capital – 4:00.81
- Kiah Melverton, TSS Aquatics (AUS) – 4:07.38
- Leah Smith, Tucson Ford Dealers – 4:08.06
Katie Ledecky was out quickly, with the fastest reaction time and a quick first 100 meters. She was up by a full body length already with 57.80 at the 100 wall. Leah Smith and Kiah Melverton were in second and third. Allison Schmitt was in fourth, nearly even with Smith and Melverton. At the 200 wall it was Ledecky in 1:58.56, Melverton in 2:02.15, and Schmitt with 2:02.22.
Ledecky was 2:59.44 at the 300 wall, while Smith and Melverton were tied with 3:05.82. Ledecky brought it home with a final time of 4:00.81 for a new U.S. Open Meet record. Melverton came home with the fastest final 50 and out-touched Smith, 4:07.38 to 4:08.06, for the silver medal.
Erica Sullivan of Sandpipers won the B final in 4:09.99 ahead of Sarasota Sharks’ Emma Weyant (4:10.33) and Riptide’s Regan Smith (4:10.40).