2016 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Monday, May 16th – Sunday, May 22nd
- Prelims: 10:00 AM (London Time) / 5:00 AM (Eastern Time)
- Finals: 6:00 PM (London Time) / 1:00 PM (Eastern Time)
- London Aquatics Center, London, UK
- Meet Central
- Psych Sheet
- Live Results
- Live Stream
Spain’s Judit Ignacio turned in a time of 58.73 in the first semifinal of the 100 fly to set a national record, breaking the 58.87 that she previously held.
Here are her splits from 2013, the old record, and from her semifinals swim tonight:
- Ignacio, Barcelona, 2013: 27.86 – 31.01 (58.87)
- Ignacio, London, 2016: 27.65 – 31.08 (58.73)
The difference was in the front half for Ignacio. She took it out hard, but not fast enough where she would pay the price on the back end.
Ignacio swam that 58.87 in Barcelona at the World Championships after her 59.18 tied with Japan’s Natsumi Hoshi for 16th after prelims. Her 58.87 in the swim-off was just a tad slower than Hoshi’s 58.83, so she didn’t move on to the semis in this event in 2013.
At these European Championships, however, she had no problem getting into semifinals. In fact, she finished 8th in semifinals, and will compete in the final of this event tomorrow night.