Paraguay National Championships
- Wednesday, March 22- Saturday, March 25
- National Aquatic Center, Paraguay
- Prelims Results
- Finals Results
The Paraguay Swimming National Championships wrapped up on Saturday at the National Aquatics Center. Among those in attendance were a number of notable Brazilians looking to improve as they work towards their own World Championship Trials.
The meet served as Paraguay’s second FINA approved event to qualify for the 2017 World Championships in Budapest, Hungary. Leading the charge for the Paraguayan nationals was Benjamin Hockin who was under both World Championships B time standards in the 50 butterfly and freestyle clocking 24.09 and 23.11 respectively. Joining Benjamin Hockin was his brother Charles Hockin, who had not previously qualified for the World Championships. Charles Hockin achieved B time standards in the 50 and 100 backstrokes, going 25.66 and 55.63. Also in attendance were Karen Riveros, Matias Lopez and William Vallejos, all of whom currently have qualifying times for the 2017 World Championships.
Other Notable Swims for Paraguayans include:
- Benjamin Hockin: 50.81 100 Meter Freestyle, 54.21 100 Meter Butterfly
- Sophia Lopez: 34.47 50 Meter Breaststroke
- Matias Lopez: 2:03.54 200 Meter Backstroke
- Renato Prono: 1:02.42 100 Meter Breaststroke
- William Vallejos: 24.61 50 Meter Freestyle
For the Brazilians, this meet served as an opportunity to swim in international competition as they approach the 2017 championship season. Joao Gomes led the the Brazilian contingent at the meet by winning the 50 and 100 meter breaststrokes going 27.30 and 1:00.92 respectively. Along with Gomes, Felipe Messias put up a time of 24.99 in the 50 meter butterfly. Jhennifer Alves and Ana Carvalho also had strong swims, clocking 31.30 and 32.24 respectively in the 50 meter breaststroke. Fabio Santi of Brazil placed second in the 100 meter backstroke in a time of 55.94.
Other Notable Swims for Brazilians at Paraguay Championships include:
- Glauber Silva: 25.05 50 Meter Butterfly
- Fabio Santi: 2:02.81 200 Meter Backstroke
- Pedro Cardona: 1:01.52 100 Meter Breaststroke
- Felipe Monni: 1:02.71 100 Meter Breaststroke
- Carlos Lemas: 23.71 50 Meter Freestyle
The 2017 FINA World Swimming Championships will take place from July 23-30, 2017 in Budapest, Hungary.