2016 ITALIAN SPRING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS AND OLYMPIC TRIALS
- Dates: Tuesday, April 19 – Saturday, April 23, 2016
- Times: Prelims 9:00 am, Finals 5:00 pm
- Location: Riccione, Italy (GMT +1, or 6 hours ahead of N.Y., 9 ahead of L.A.)
- Results: Available
- Olympic selection standards
Women’s 100 Breast- Prelims
- Italian record: 1:06.86, Ilaria Scarcella(2009)
- Olympic standard: A-1:06.9, B-1:07.3, C-1:07.85
- Martina Carraro, Azzurra: 1:07.78
- Lisa Angiolini, Buonconvento: 1:09.71
- Ilaria Scarcella, Aniene: 1:09.74
- Guilia Verona, Lombardia/Michela Guzzetti, Esercito: 1:09.80
- Arianna Castiglioni, Insubrika: 1:09.83
- Lisa Fissneider, SSV Bozen: 1:10.38
- Francesca Fangio, Lombardia: 1:10.52
- Sofia Martini, Nuoto: 1:10.61
Martina Cararro notched a 1:07.78 this morning, hitting the Olympic ‘C’ standard and coming in two seconds ahead of the field. She will be the top seed tonight.
Lisa Angiolini (1:09.71), Italian record holder Ilaria Scarcella (1:09.74), Guilia Verona (1:09.80), Michela Guzzetti (1:09.80), and Arianna Castiglioni (1:09.83) all came in within .12 of each other. Unless one of them can pull well ahead and fight Cararro for the gold, the five swimmers will face off for second place tonight.
Men’s 200 Fly- Prelims
- Italian record: 1:55.94, Joseph Davide Natullo (2009)
- Olympic standard: A-1:55.4, B-1:56.0
- Giacomo Carini, Gialle: 1:58.28
- Filippo Berlincioni, Aniene: 1:59.62
- Federico Bussolin, Azzurre: 1:59.64
- Francesco Pavone, Esercito: 1:59.80
- Matteo Pelizzari, Aniene: 2:00.49
- Davide Casarin, Veneto: 2:00.91
- Federico Valera, Torino: 2:01.01
- Federico Bracco, Torino: 2:01.04
Giacomo Carini was the top qualifier in the prelims of the 200 fly this morning, clocking 1:58.28 to come in a second and a half ahead of the field.
Filippo Berlincioni (1:59.62), Federico Bussolin (1:59.64), and Francesco Pavone (1:59.80) were the other three swimmers under 2:00, and they will fight for the silver tonight.
Women’s 50 Free- Prelims
- Italian record: 24.84, Silvia Di Pietro (2014)
- Olympic standard: A-24.9, B-24.8
- Erika Ferraioli, Aniene: 25.51
- Silvia Di Pietro, Aniene: 25.52
- Lucrezia Raco, Aniene: 25.70
- Giorgia Biondani, Leosport Villafranca: 25.76
- Ilaria Bianchi, Azzure: 25.81
- Aglaia Pezzato, Veneto: 25.86
- Elena Gemo, Aniene: 26.03
- Gioelemaria Origlia, Cavalieri: 26.09
Erika Ferraioli and Italian record holder Silvia Di Pietro came in within a hundredth of a second of each other this morning, clocking 25.51 and 25.52.
Lucrezia Raco (25.70), Giorgia Biondani (25.76), Ilaria Bianchi (25.81), and Aglaia Pezzato (25.86) each made it in under 26, but it will take a sub-25 swim to make the Italian Olympic squad.
Men’s 50 Back- Prelims
- Italian record: 24.65, Niccolo Bonacchi (2014)
- Stefano Pizzamiglio, Azzurra: 25.34
- Niccolo Bonacchi, Pistoiesi: 25.35
- Simone Sabbioni, Swim Pro: 25.46
- Mirco di Tora, Azzurra: 25.56
- Nicola Turrini, Trentini: 25.69
- Matteo Milli, Aniene: 25.74
- Michele Malerba, Larus: 25.79
- Fabio Laugeni, Gialle: 25.94
The top eight 50 backstrokers came in in within .6 seconds of one another, all finishing under 26. Stefano Pizzamiglio will be the top seed tonight, but a ton of swimmers are within reach of the gold. Niccolo Bonacchi was only one one hundredth behind Pizzamiglio with 25.35.
Simone Sabbioni finished third this morning with 25.46.
Men’s 200 Breast- Prelims
- Italian record: 2:08.50, Loris Facci (2009)
- Olympic standard: A-2:09.6, B-2:10.0
- Flavio Bizzarri, Forestale: 2:14.73
- Edoardo Giorgetti, Aniene: 2:15.84
- Giovanni Sorriso, Aniene: 2:16.21
- Claudio Fossi, Lombardia: 2:16.34
- Luca Pizzini, Bentegodi: 2:16.49
- Zaccaria Casna, Nuoto: 2:17.16
- Lorenzeo Longhi, Gestisport: 2:17.21
- Riccardo Cervi, Veneto: 2:17.68
Flavio Bizzarri was the only swimmer to come in under 2:15 this morning, but he’ll have to drop nearly five seconds to make the ‘B’ standard tonight. He came in a second ahead of the second finisher, Edoardo Giorgetti, who swam the event in 2:15.84.
The third seed went to Giovanni Sorriso in 2:16.21.
Women’s 200 IM- Prelims
- Italian record: 2:11.25, Alessia Filippi (2009)
- Olympic standard: A-2:11.0, B-2:12.0
- Carlotta Toni, Florentia: 2:15.28
- Ilaria Cusinato, Veneto: 2:16.20
- Luisa Trombetti, Roma: 2:16.33
- Sara Franceschi, Livorno: 2:16.78
- Laura Letrari, Bolzano: 2:17.41
- Anna Pirovano, Vittoria: 2:18.45
- Alice Nesti, Pistoisesi: 2:18.70
- Martina Rosa, Tiro a Volo: 2:18.98
Carlotta Toni was the top qualifier in the women’s 200 IM this morning, clocking 2:15.28. She will have to drop another three seconds to make the ‘B’ standard tonight.
Ilaria Cusinato finished second in 2:16.20. Luisa Trombetti (2:16.33) and Sara Franceschi (2:16.78) also finished under 2:17.
Men’s 200 Free- Prelims
- Italian record: 1:46.29, Emilano Brembilla (2009)
- Olympic standard: A-1:46.5, B-1:47.2, C-1:47.8
- Andrea D’Arrigo, Aurelia: 1:48.33
- Filippo Magnini, Aniene: 1:49.01
- Alex Di Giorgio, Aniene: 1:49.02
- Gabriele Detti, Lombardia: 1:49.03
- Nicoangelo Di Fabio, Lombardia: 1:49.26
- Luca Dotto, Larus: 1:49.57
- Jonathan Boffa, Aniene: 1:49.66
- Damiano Lestingi, Aniene/Filippo Megli, Florentia: 1:49.74
Andrea D’Arrigo came in closest to the Olympic standard this morning, clocking 1:48.33 in the 200 free and missing the ‘C’ mark by half a second.
Filippo Magnini, Alex Di Gorgio, and Gabriele Detti will each be near the top of the race tonight, after coming in one after the other, separated by just .01. Magnini went 1:49.01, Di Gorgio finished in 1:49.02, and Detti swam the event in 1:49.03.
A swim off will determine whether Damiano Lestigi or Filippo Megli will swim the championship final tonight. They both finished in 1:49.74 for eighth place.