2018 ITALIAN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
- April 10-14, 2018
- Stadio del Nuoto – Riccione (ITA)
- Long Course (50 meters)
- Start List
Gabriele Detti raced the 400 free in prelims, but elected not to race it at finals, citing a shoulder injury that has been plaguing him.
In an interview with SwimSwam Italia, Detti said, “I want to be in Glasgow [for the 2018 European Championships]. I am confident and I think I can get back into shape soon. We will then evaluate which races to take, but the important thing is to be there. In the end I have lived with this pain for seven years. I prefer to live with it as I did in the last two years. This morning I made the 400 just to see how my condition was and I gave my best. After the 200 meters I did not give up, but the pain was present.”
Simona Quadarella was impressive in the women’s 800 free, the only finisher under 8:30. The 19-year-old’s time of 8:25.82 ties her for 8th in the world this year.
In the men’s 200 fly, an Italian junior record was broken. Federico Burdisso, born in 2001, swam a time of 1:57.23 to win the race and set a new Italian junior mark.
- Ilaria Cusinato was 4:37.14 to win the women’s 400 IM by over two seconds.
- In the men’s 50 back, Simone Sabbioni posted a 25.17 for the win.
- Arianna Castiglioni swam a 1:06.91 to win the women’s 100 breast.
- Centro Sportivo Esercito won the women’s 4×100 free relay, getting a 54.34 anchor from Erika Ferraioli. 2nd place C. Canottieri Aniene was just behind, with Federica Pellegrini splitting a 53.56.