2017 Indiana Senior Short Course Championship
The 2017 Indiana Senior Short Course Championship took place this past weekend with several notable swims.
Hannah Kukurugya, from Crown Point Swim Club, touched with the time of 4:12.34 setting a lifetime best. Kukurugya dropped over 8 seconds from prelims and finished over 7 seconds faster than her competition. She later took another victory in the 200-yard fly (1:56.48). Kukurugya is the number one recruit in Indiana for the class of 2017, and next fall will be attending Standford University.
Spencer Lehman had his handful of top finishes. Lehman raced to a first place finish in the 400-yard IM touching at 3:49.57, winning by over 5 seconds. He also took the victory in the 500-yard freestyle touching at 4:48.60. In the 200-yard IM, Leham touched to another victory winning by over 2 seconds (1:50.50). Leham also had a top finish in the 200-yard backstroke(1:46.89). Leham will be attending Indiana University-Bloomington next fall, and is the number two recruit for the class of 2017 in the state of Indiana.
Max Irwin, of Indiana University- Bloomington had several top finishing. Irwin won the 100-yard freestyle(44.62), 200-yard fly(1:45.85). 50-yard freestyle (20.61), 100-yard fly(48.82). In the 200-yard freestyle, Irwin touched with the time of 1:35.61, breaking the eight year-old Indiana state meet record(1:36.15). Irwin is a Big Ten Championship Finalist in the 200-yard fly.
Anya Goeders from Mako Swim Team swam the 100-yard freestyle touching at 49.39. She also swam to a first place finish in the 50-yard freestyle touching at 22.44, just tenths away from the state meet record. Goeders also swam to another victory in the 100-yard backstroke(55.49). Goeders is the number one recruit in the state of Indiana for class of 2018, and is a Junior National Champion in the 50 L freestyle.
The FORT Wayne Swim Team took the team titles win in both men and women’s scores as well as combined scores.
Other Notable Swims
- Lauryn Parrish, a commit from University of Kansas touched at 1:58.42 in the 200-yard back out-touching Tessa Wrightson (1:58.88).
- Emily Weiss took the victory in the 100-yard breaststroke touching at 1:00.19. Later she took the win in the 200-yard breaststroke touching at 2:11.96, winning by over 3 seconds. Both events she was just tenths away from the age group state meet record.
- Andrew Schuler swam to a first place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke (55.56), out-touching Gary Kostbade(55.76).
- In the men’s 200-yard breaststroke, Matthew Jerden took first with the time of 2:00.25.
- Carla Gildersleeve moved from 7th place to first place with the time of 4:54.48 in the 500-yard freestyle.
- Jacob Steele won the 100-yard backstroke with the time of 49.62.
Top Team Scores
- Fort Wayne Swim Team-896.5
- Duneland Swim Club-625.5
- Northridge Area Swimming Assoc.-570.5
- Zionsville Swim Club-471
- Fishers Area Swimming Tigers-375
- Fort Wayne Swim Club-670
- Carmel Swim Club-499
- Fishers Area Swimming Tigers-389
- Pro Swimming-367
- South Bend Swim Club-IN-355