FLORIDA HIGH SCHOOL 2A STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Saturday, November 12th
- Sailfish Splashpark Aquatic Athletics Center, Florida
- Defending champs: American Heritage boys, Gulliver Prep girls
- 2015 state results
- 2016 Regional meet recaps
- Psych Sheet
- Live Stream
FINAL BOYS TOP 5 TEAM SCORES:
- Gulliver Prep- 234
- Arnold- 225
- Jesuit- 220
- Suncoast- 140
- American Heritage- 109
The top 3 teams on the boys’ side of the 2016 Florida High School 2A State Championships were within 14 points of each other, but the Gulliver Prep boys got the job done to win it with 234 points. Just 9 points back in the runner-up spot was Arnold (225 points), while Jesuit rounded out the top 3 with 220 points.
Gulliver Prep’s Miguel Cancel was instrumental to the team’s win, picking up multiple individual state titles. Cancel, a junior, blasted a 1:48.25 to win the 200 IM in Automatic All-American (AA-A) fashion, giving him the only sub-1:50 time of the field. He returned to the pool for the 500 free, making a final 50 surge to finish in another AA-A time of 4:24.99, edging out Bayshore’s T.C. Smith, who also met the AA-A standard for silver in 4:25.33.
A tight race in the 50 free saw Gulf High Schol’s Manden Smith touch out St. Brendan’s Irvin Hoost, with both men finishing under 21 seconds. Smith achieved the AA-A standard with his 20.69, while Hoost just missed that mark with a 20.89 for silver. Smith then completed his sweep of the sprint freestyles, winning the 100 free in 45.75.
Heading into the final event, the 400 free relay, Gulliver led Arnold by just 1 point, while Jesuit was only 4 points back in 3rd. With the team trophy on the line, Gulliver Prep’s Trahern Gribble, who won the 100 fly individually, teamed up with Pablo Luchau, Orest Danyliv, and Migual Cancel to seal the deal. Cancel anchored in 44.45 as the team won the race in 3:07.31.
Boys’ Event Winners:
- 200 medley relay- Arnold (Phlegar, McGuire, Williams, Gobel), 1:35.23
- 200 free- T.C. Smith, Bayshore, 1:39.46
- 200 IM- Miguel Cancel, Gulliver Prep, 1:48.25
- 50 free- Manden Smith, Gulf High School, 20.69
- 100 fly- Trahern Gribble, Gulliver Prep, 49.83
- 100 free- Manden Smith, Gulf High School, 45.75
- 500 free- Miguel Cancel, Gulliver Prep, 4:24.99
- 200 free relay- Jesuit (Jennings, Dawes, W. Sands, S. Sands), 1:26.61
- 100 back- Daniel Orcutt, Fort Walton Beach, 50.17
- 100 breast- Jabari Ramsey, Land O’Lakes, 56.86
- 400 free relay- Gulliver Prep (Gribble, Luchau, Danyliv, Cancel), 3:07.31
FINAL GIRLS TOP 5 TEAM SCORES:
- Gulliver Prep- 322
- Academy of Holy Names- 159
- Titusville- 143
- Mosley- 120
- American Heritage- 111
The Gulliver Prep girls ran away with the 2016 Florida High School 2A State Championships, claiming 322 points in the team victory. Battling closely behind them, the Academy of Holy Names picked up 159 points to edge out Titusville (143 points) for the runner-up spot.
Gulliver’s Emily Cordovi pulled off a successful double to help her team to victory. She came within hundredths of the Automatic All-American (AA-A) standard in the 100 fly, winning the race in 54.67. Cordovi returned to the pool for the 100 back, touching in 56.34 for her 2nd individual gold of the night.
American Heritage’s Catharine Cooper was the sprint queen of the meet, sweeping the gold in the indiviudal sprint frees. Cooper dominated the 50 free by over a second, charging to the wall in 23.34. She then turned around to win the 100 free in 52.31, picking up gold ahead of Gulliver Prep’s Sarah Abril (53.03).
Sweeping the middle distance freestyles was Ryley Ober, a sophomore at Bayshore. In the 200 free, Ober posted the only sub-1:50 time of the field, winning by body lengths with her 1:48.98. She took on Gulliver Prep’s distance duo of Marcella Ruppert-Gomez and Alicia Mancilla in the 500 free, swimming to another gold in an AA-A time of 4:52.20. Ruppert-Gomez swam to the wall behind her for silver in 4:53.69, followed my teammate Mancilla (4:56.13).
Tarpon Springs’ Mackenzie Stumpf was the 4th swimmer of the meet to take double individual victories on the girls’ side. Her first win came in the 200 IM, where she registered a winning time of 2:03.14. She then swam under the AA-A standard in the 100 breast, winning the race in 1:02.60.
Girls’ Event Winners:
- 200 medley relay- Gulliver Prep (Cordovi, Hernandez, Mancilla, Abril), 1:47.08
- 200 free- Ryley Ober, Bayshore, 1:48.98
- 200 IM- Mackenzie Stumpf, Tarpon Springs, 2:03.14
- 50 free- Catharine Cooper, American Heritage, 23.34
- 100 fly- Emily Cordovi, Gulliver Prep, 54.67
- 100 free- Catharine Cooper, American Heritage, 52.31
- 500 free- Ryley Ober, Bayshore, 4:52.20
- 200 free relay- Gulliver Prep (Abril, Hernandez, Luchau, Ellis), 1:38.74
- 100 back- Emily Cordovi, Gulliver Prep, 56.31
- 100 breast- Mackenzie Stumpf, Tarpon Springs, 1:02.60
- 400 free relay- Gulliver Prep (Cordovi, Abril, Mancilla, Ellis), 3:34.06