Reported by Anne Lepesant.
WOMEN 400 LC METER FREESTYLE
- American: 3:56.46 8/7/2016 Katie Ledecky
- U.S. Open: 3:58.44 6/30/2017 Katie Ledecky
- US Open Meet: 4:05.45 12/20/1987 Janet Evans, Fullerton
- GOLD- Erica Sullivan, Sandpipers of Nevada 4:09.43
- SILVER- Ashley Twichell, North Carolina Aquatic Club 4:10.89
- BRONZE- Taylor Ault, La Mirada Armada 4:11.12
Just like in the morning heats, Erica Sullivan of Sandpipers of Nevada and Ashley Twichell of North Carolina Aquatic Club went at it from the first couple of strokes. Sullivan had a .01 advantage at the 100, then .10 at the 200, but it was still anyone’s race at that point. Sullivan kept pulling away, millimeter by millimeter, and led by 4/10 at the 300. She brought it home over the final 100 to win with 4:09.43, the eighth-fastest time in history for 15-16 girls. Twichell took second in 4:10.89, while La Mirada’s Taylor Ault pulled into third, finishing in 4:11.12.
Stephanie Peters of Marietta Marlins/UGA won the B final with 4:12.76, while Francesca Bertotto of Princeton Piranhas/Rutgers touched second in 4:16.28. Miranda Heckman of Pleasanton Seahawks just touched out Meryn McCann of Athens Bulldog Swim Club for third, 4:16.44 to 4:16.46.
Claire Rasmus of Texas A&M won the C final by a full body length with 4:15.36. Finishing 2nd and were Ruby Martinof Iowa Flyers in 4:16.78 and Molly Kowal of Ohio State with 4:17.02.
Emma Weyant of Sarasota Sharks went 4:17.62 to win the D final over Liberty Williams of Yucapia Swim Team,