Valparaiso at Eastern Illinois
- Charleston, Illinois
- Oct. 5, 2019
- Men: EIU 144.5-64.5; Women EIU 123-86
Courtesy: Eastern Illinois Athletics
CHARLESTON, Ill. – The Eastern Illinois men’s & women’s swimming teams opened up their 2019-20 seasons at home against Valparaiso. The men and women both went head-to-head with Valpo. The men won against Valpo with a score of 144.5-64.5, while the women also defeated Valpo 123-86.
The men’s unit had a strong showing all throughout the meet. The men swept the 100-freestyle with Scoot House winning with a great opening season time of 46.17, Griffin Lewis was second with a time of 48.76 and Forrest Baumgartner was third with a time of 50.33.
The Panthers also swept the 200-free led by House with a time of 1:46.71, right behind him was Griffin Lewis with a time of 1:47.71 and then Joel Talley with a time of 1:50.70. In the 100-butterfly the Panthers swept and was led by Alex Adams with a time of 53.86, second was Austin Kueck with a time of 55.63 and in third was Jake Gleeson with a time of 55.81.
Other first place finishers for the men are, Forrest Baumgartner in the 50-free with a time of 21.62 and Andrew Crouse in the 100-backstroke with a time of 54.74. In the relays the men placed first in the 200-medley relay with a time of 1:37.48, they also took first in the 200-freestyle relay with a time of 1:26.39.
On the women’s side, Ashley Glesing started off the season strong with a win in the 100-breaststroke with a time of 1:07.99. In the 200-medley relay the women finished in first and third place, the first place EIU team had a time of 1:51.20 and the third place EIU team had a time of 1:57.09.
In the 100-free Sarah Lohman took first with a time of 55.32 and teammate Sabrina Chu placed third with a time of 55.66. Katy Black and Matti Friesz went back to back in the 100-breaststroke. Black won with a time of 1:02.49 and Friesz took second with a time of 1:03.01
Other first place finished for the women are, Jessica Harris in the 1000 freestyle with a time of 11:05.46 and the relay team for the 200-freestyle with a time of 1:4267
The EIU men’s & women’s swimming teams will return to action on the road against Evansville on Saturday (Oct. 12.) at 1 p.m.
Courtesy: Valparaiso Athletics
Valpo Swimming opened its 2019-2010 season on Saturday afternoon at Eastern Illinois, the teams’ first meet under the guidance of head coach Maggie Kroemer. Five different Valpo swimmers combined for eight first-place finishes in the season-opening meet.
How It Happened
- The Valpo women had a trio of swimmers combine for five first-place finishes.
- Seniors Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran) and Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors) each posted a pair of first-place finishes. Martins claimed top honors in the 50 free (25.59) and the 100 fly (1:00.30), while Wright touched the wall first in the 200 free (1:58.28) and the 500 free (5:17.95).
- Meanwhile, freshman Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island) earned an event win as well with a time of 2:18.22 in the 200 IM. The rookie also moved into Valpo’s all-time top-10 in her first career meet as she posted a time of 1:08.77 in the 100 breast, eighth-fastest in program history.
- On the men’s side, freshman Brian Daniels (Brookfield, Wis./Brookfield East) posted a pair of event wins in his first meet at Valpo. Daniels registered a time of 4:52.50 in the 500 free and 10:05.91 in the 1000 free, the latter ranking sixth in program history in the event.
- Sophomore Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) picked up a victory as well on Saturday, winning the 100 breast in 1:00.91.
- EIU won the team scoring on both sides, as the Valpo women fell 123-86 and the men fell 144.5-64.5.
Valpo returns to action next Friday, October 11, at Southern Illinois in a tri-meet with Bellarmine.