Cincinnati at Kenyon
- Jan. 25, 2019
- Men: Cincinnati def. Kenyon 142-101
- Women: Cincinnati def. Kenyon 156-87
Courtesy: Cincinnati Athletics
GAMBIER, Ohio – The University of Cincinnati swimming and diving swept Kenyon on the road Friday night with the men winning 142-101 and the women won 156-87.
• Tai Sims placed second on 1-meter with a score of 276.22 and won 3-meter with a 270.82 mark
• Claire Schuermann scored a 286.50 on 1-meter to win and also took first place in 3-meter with a 278.40
FIRST PLACE FINISHES
• Tyler Jones: 1000 free (9:34.64)
• Din Selmanovic: 200 free (1:40.92)
• Dominic Polling: 200 IM (1:50.81)
• Parker Saladin: 200 fly (1:49.29)
• Alex Fortman: 100 free (46.01)
• Joey Puglessi: 200 back (1:50.19)
• Toby Van Dyke: 500 free (4:31.73)
• Zach Baecker: 200 breast (2:04.17)
• Rocky Laabs: 1000 free (10:13.69)
• Olivia Schmelzer: 50 free (23.56)
• Simone Palomo: 200 fly (2:04.75)
• Lina Kutsko: 100 free (52.02)
• Natalie Obando: 200 back (2:02.51)
• Katie Qualls: 500 free (5:00.25)
• Dee Sopapong: 200 breast (2:18.92)
• Women’s 200 free relay: 1:34.86 (Abby Johnston, Kutsko, Claire Farrell, Schmelzer)
• UC returns home on Saturday, January 26 for Senior Day against Northwestern
• The final meet of the regular season will be Friday, February 1 at home against Kentucky
Courtesy: Kenyon Athletics
GAMBIER, Ohio – The Kenyon men’s swimming and diving team fell in a close dual meet against Division I University of Cincinnati on Friday night at James A. Steen Aquatics Center. The Bearcats won 142-101 as the Lords celebrated their senior class in front of a good crowd.
The Lords started “Senior Day” with a victory during the 200-yard medley relay. Ben Baturka, Robert Williams, David Fitch and Cole McMahon-Gioeli teamed up and finished the race with a ‘B’ cut qualifying time of 1:31.01.
A few events later, a pair of Kenyon swimmers tied for first in 50-yard freestyle. Weston Carpenter and Fitch each posted 21.11 times and pushed the Lords’ lead to 44-30.
Senior Ryder Sammons then notched the team’s final individual win. On the 1-meter board, Sammons registered 276.22 points. He followed that up later with a second-place showing on the 3-meter board.
During the last scored event of the evening, the 200-yard free relay, the Lords bagged first again. McMahon-Gioeli, Fitch, Tommy Weiss and Marcus Hong were sixth-tenths of a second faster than the Bearcats’ “A” team as Kenyon’s group finished in 1:23.69.
There were also numerous second and third-place marks for the Lords.
In the 1,000 freestyle, Bryan Fitzgerald and Connor Rumpit were second and third, respectively. Williams and Grant Thompson followed a race later in the 200-yard freestyle in the same slots.
Then in the 200 individual medley, Luis Weekes claimed runner-up with a time of 1:51.08 while Mick Bartholomew finished in 1:53.96. Both of those marks also met NCAA ‘B’ cut standards. Later, Bartholomew took home second in the 200 backstroke.
Rounding out Kenyon’s best performances was Fitzgerald’s second-place showing in the 500 free, Weiss’ runner-up finish in the 100 free and Humphrey Pruett‘s bronze finish in the 200-yard breaststroke.
Hosting its final home dual meet and celebrating Senior Day, the Kenyon College women’s swimming and diving team chalked up three event wins during Friday evening’s 156-87 loss to the NCAA Division I Bearcats from the University of Cincinnati.
One of the three Kenyon victories came from senior Hannah Orbach-Mandel. In the second event of the evening, Orbach-Mandel won the 200-yard freestyle in a time of 1:52.07. She edged teammate and junior Kendall Vanderhoof, who claimed the runner-up spot with a time of 1:52.75.
Later in the meet, Orbach-Mandel placed second in the 100-yard freestyle by clocking in at 52.29. Vanderhoof then tacked on another second-place showing for Kenyon, as she posted a 5:02.14 in the 500-yard freestyle.
Sophomore Crile Hart also cranked out some impressive results. She won the 200-yard individual medley and later placed second in the 200-yard backstroke. Her respective times in those two events were 2:04.83 and 2:03.23.
Kenyon’s other event win occurred in the first race of the evening, the 200-yard medley relay. Hart teamed up with Andrea Perttula, Caylee Hamilton and senior Abby Wilson to claim victory with a time of 1:45.19.
Madeline Carlson, another Kenyon senior, fared well in diving competition. She took second place on the one-meter board (251.92) and then claimed third place on the three-meter board (248.40).
Other notable results came from Emmerson Mirus, a sophomore, and Wilson, who placed second (24.11) and third (24.12) in the 50-yard freestyle. Mirus, Wilson, Hamilton and Orbach-Mandel then finished off the competition with a second-place showing in the 200-yard freestyle relay (1:35.23).
Next on the schedule for the Lords and Ladies is a quick trip to Ohio Wesleyan University on February 1 for a 6:30 p.m. meet. After that, Kenyon will focus on the North Coast Athletic Conference Championship.