2019 CANADIAN JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS
- July 24-29, 2019
- Calgary, Alberta
- Repsol Sport Centre
- LCM (50m)
- Meet Central
- Psych Sheet
- Live Results
- Live Stream
- CBC Live Stream (finals only)
Regan Rathwell, Carter Buck and Justin Fotherby all picked up their second individual gold medals on day two of the Canadian Junior Championships in Calgary.
After opening the competition with a win in the 200 back, Rathwell of the Greater Ottawa Kingfish won the girls’ 15-17 100 back on Thursday in a time of 1:01.93, eclipsing her previous best of 1:01.95.
The 13-14 title, which Rathwell won last year, was taken by Amy Pan (1:04.25) swimming unattached.
Competing in the boys’ 14-15 age group, Buck of the London Aquatic Club won the 100 back as well in 59.42, edging out Loic Courville Fortin (59.58) and Yutong Wu (59.69). The 200 back winner on day one, Buck holds a best of 58.76 from February of this year.
‘’I feel good,’’ said Buck. ‘’It was a tight race and my time was OK. I would have liked to have gone faster but with it this close it was more about the race than the time.’’
Tayden De Pol of the Nanaimo Riptide won for the 16-18 age group in 56.60.
Fotherby opened the meet with a win in the boys’ 14-15 800 free and followed up by winning the 400 IM on day two.
The Pentiction, British Columbia native won in a time of 4:34.50, improving on his previous best of 4:34.84 from Canadian Trials in April.
Jacob Gallant of the Frederiction Aquanauts topped the 16-18 400 IM in 4:28.70.
- Camryn Stannard of Nanaimo won the girls’ 13-14 100 free in 57.66, and Kyla Leibel of Red Deer won the 15-17 category in 56.36.
- Lochlan Rogers (53.31) of Ravensong Aquatic Club and Max Hunger (51.79) of Pointe-Claire won the boys’ 14-15 and 16-18 100 free events respectively.
- The girls’ 400 IM victories went to Meghan Barrigan (5:03.23) of Edmonton Keyano and Ashley McMillan (4:52.49) of Kisu.
- The Edmonton Keyano girls (8:27.87) and the Pointe-Claire boys (7:40.75) won the 800 free relays.
Quotes courtesy of Swimming Canada.