2016 BRAZILIAN OPEN
Brazilian Olympian Brandonn Almeida is still nothing but golden through day 3 of the 2016 Brazil Open after tackling the men’s 200 meter IM in day 3 finals. After winning the 200 back and 400 IM already, he followed suit with his 3rd gold in as many days. Almeida won the race by over a full second, chopping over 1.5 seconds off his previous best with a winning time of 2:00.79. Following him for siver was Leonardo Santos, who also set a new best time to finish 2nd in 2:01.86.
Gabriel Santos did some fast swimming in the men’s 100 free today, smoking the field with his 48.60 to take the gold. The race for silver, however, was a very close one, as Pedro Spajari and Felipe Ribeiro were separated by just a tenth at the finish. It was Spajari who got there a nail faster, posting a 49.34 to take silver ahead of Ribeiro, who earned bronze with his 49.44.
On the women’s side, Etiene Meideros, one of Brazil’s top female swimmers, picked up her 2nd gold medal of the meet. Medeiros, a finalist at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, took on the 50 back this time, winning the dash to the wall in 27.79. She now has 2 victories under her belt after winning the 50 fly on Wednesday.
ADDITIONAL EVENT WINNERS:
- Men’s 200 breast- Thiago Simon, 2:10.78
- Women’s 100 free- Larissa Oliveira, 55.31
- Women’s 200 IM- Gabriele Roncatto, 2:15.65
- Men’s 50 back- Daniel Orzechowski, 25.37
- Women’s 200 breast- Pamela Alencar, 2:32.81
TEAM TO DATE
The Brazilian site Best Swim is tracking, after each day of the meet, who the 8 qualified swimmers for the World Championships would be to this point of the meet based on the relative points of their meets. While there’s still one more day to go in this meet, plus the whole of the Maria Lenk Trophy, this list is “if the meets ended today,” and so is not an official roster.
- Thiago Simon, 200 breast, 2:10.78, 915 points
- Brandonn Almeida, 400 IM, 4:12:49 ,901 points
- Gabriel Santos, 100 free, 48.60, 899 points
- Guilherme Guido, 100 back, 54.30, 875 points
- Manuella Lyrio, 200 free, 1:58.25, 872 points
- Henrique Barbosa, 200 breast, 2:13.25, 865 points
- Pedro Spajari, 100 free, 49.44, 859 points
- (T-8) Guilherme Costa, 1500 free, 15:17:46, 856 points
- (T-8) Henrique Martins, 100 fly, 52.46, 856 points