2017 SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL AQUATIC CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Monday, April 3rd – Saturday, April 8th
- Kings Park Pool, Durban, South Africa
- Event Schedule
- Day 1 Recap/Day 2 Recap/Day 3 Recap/Day 4 Recap/Day 5 Recap
- Live Results
The South African National Aquatic Championships kicked off in Durban on Monday, April 3rd where athletes will vie for their spots on the national roster for the 2017 World Championships in Budapest. The selection criteria is rather succinct, with the first and second place finishers in Olympic events at these Championships being considered for selection, as long as they achieve a FINA ‘A’ cut in the event.
If one or both top two finishers do not achieve an ‘A’ qualifying time, athletes will the fastest ‘A’ times in either heat or semi-final will then be considered for selection provided he/she swims in the final of the event. Additionally, South Africa’s selection criteria states that if there are no “A” Qualifiers in an Olympic Event, the first swimmer achieving a “FINA B” Qualifying Time Standard, may be considered for selection, to satisfy transformation and gender objectives.
As of the conclusion of the championship meet, below are the South African athletes who have secured FINA A cuts. We will publish the official federation roster for Budapest (including relay spots) once it has been released.
- Cameron van der Burgh, 100 breaststroke, 59.73; 50 breaststroke, 27.06
- Chad Le Clos, 100 freestyle, 48.64*; 200 freestyle, 1:46.84; 200 butterfly 1:55.00; 100 butterfly 51.29
- *As lead-off on disqualified Western Cape Aquatics’ 4x100m freestyle relay
- Myles Brown, 200 freestyle, 1:47.51
- Brad Tandy, 50 freestyle, 21.97
- Doug Erasmus, 50 freestyle, 22.39
- Zane Waddell, 50 freestyle, 22.41
- Tatjana Schoenmaker, 200 breaststroke, 2:25.23
- Brent Szurdoki, 1500 freestyle, 15:11.22