2019 USA SWIMMING JUNIOR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Tuesday, August 6 – Saturday, August 10, 2019
- Stanford Avery Aquatic Center, Palo Alto, CA
- Prelims 9 AM / Finals 5 PM (U.S. Pacific Time)
- LCM format
- Psych sheet
- Live stream (all sessions)
- Start Lists & Live Results
Day 1 of the 2019 U.S. Junior National Championships will include prelims of the women’s and men’s 200 butterfly as well as the women’s and men’s 100 breaststroke. Starting at 2:09 pm Pacific Standard Time, the women’s 1500 and men’s 800 freestyles will begin with timed finals. The fastest heat of each event will swim with finals tonight.
This schedule is similar to what Day 1 of last week’s 2019 U.S. National Championships featured, but has swapped the 100 freestyle for the 100 breaststroke.
Day 1 Morning Prelims Events:
- Women’s 200 Butterfly – Prelims
- Men’s 200 Butterfly – Prelims
- Women’s 100 Breaststroke – Prelims
- Men’s 100 Breaststroke – Prelims
Day 1 Afternoon Distance Heats:
- Women’s 800 Freestyle – Heats/Timed Finals
- Men’s 1500 Freestyle – Heats/Timed Finals
As the full roster for the 2019 Junior World Championships is being decided following the conclusion of Nationals last week, roster spots on the Budapest team are no longer up for grabs. Even so, some swimmers from last week will continue racing this week.
Day 1 Prelims Storylines to Follow:
- Which girls are pulling a double after Nationals?: This morning’s 200 butterfly will feature Lillie Nordmann and Justina Kozan, both of whom did qualify for the 2019 World Junior Championships team that will race in Budapest at the end of the month. Nordmann actually qualified for World Juniors in this event, while Kozan qualified in the 200 IM. Rye Ulett will also likely make the Budapest team in the 200 backstroke, but hasn’t been officially named to the team. Rye and sister Tristen Ulett are both on the heat sheets for the 200 fly this morning. Another to watch is mutli-distance freestyle National Age Group (NAG) Record holder Claire Tuggle, who is racing the 200 fly as well. Tuggle will swim the 200 and 400 freestyles in Budapest in a few weeks. Tuggle will also swim the 800 freestyle tonight as the 2nd-fastest overall seed.
- Which boys are pulling a double after Nationals?: Ethan Hu did not make the World Junior Championships team, but had a very impressive season from 2018-2019. Hu is swimming the 200 fly this morning alongside River Wright. Kevin Houseman, who will likely get the nod to swim the 100 breaststroke in Budapest, is the top seed in the race this morning.
- 13-year-old Asia Kozan will swim the heats of the 200 fly this morning. Kozan is one of three fast-rising 13-year-olds swimming this week. Another 13-year-old to watch this morning is Leah Hayes, who will be swimming the 100 breaststroke.
- Tim Connery, who placed 5th in the 100 breaststroke at the 2018 Junior Pan Pacific Championships, will swim the 100 breast this morning.