2018 JAPAN SWIM (JAPANESE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)
- Tuesday, April 3rd – Sunday, April 8th
- Tatsumi International Swim Centre, Tokyo, Japan
- Selection meet for Asian Games, Pan Pacific Championships, Jr. Pan Pacific Championships & Youth Olympics
- Meet Site
- SwimSwam Preview
- Start Lists
- Live Results
- Day 1 Prelims Recap
- Day 1 Finals Recap
After a stunning day 1 in Tokyo, we had a more laid back morning session with swimming quietly setting themselves up nicely for tonight’s semi-finals.
The big news of the morning was that Olympian Kosuke Hagino wound up not swimming one of his key events, the men’s 200m freestyle, after a disappointing (by his standards) showing in the 400m freestyle yesterday. In the 400m free final, Hagino wound up taking silver in a respectable 3:48.47, but the swimmer was unsatisfied after historically taking the top of the podium domestically when swimming the event.
The implications for Hagino not swimming the 200m may be bigger than just these Championships, as the meet serves as the selection competition for this summer’s Pan Pacific Championships. Japan, as with most nations, does have a discretionary selection clause within their qualification procedures, so Hagino may still yet compete against the likes of Townley Haas of America and Kyle Chalmers of Australia should they both race at Pan Pacs.
Hagino is still slated to swim the 200m IM and 400m IM events here in Tokyo, so the man may be putting all his eggs in those baskets to produce something special as a warning shot for the Pan Pacs happening on his home turf in Tokyo.
Top seeds from this morning:
- Anna Konishi raced fastest in the morning heats of the women’s 100m back, clocking 1:00.00.
- The women’s 100m breast saw Kanako Watanabe produce a swift 1:07.30 for top seed.
- Takaya Yasue was this morning fastest men’s 50m flyer in 23.87.
- With teen star Rikako Ikee opting out of the 200m freestyle, Tomomi Aoki captured the top seed in 1:59.57.
- In Hagino’s absence, it was Reo Sakata snatching the men’s 200m free top seed in 1:48.27.