Congratulations to tarlo, our overall winner of the 2015 FINA World Championships Pick ‘Em Contest (presented by TYR)! Sitting in third after day 6, tarlo recorded a whopping 52 points on day 7–the second highest total in the contest–to jump john26 and swimdork to hang on for the win.
Days 7 and 8 were big days in terms of potential points, with a combined 14 finals events, including a number of unexpected finishers in the top four.
Day 7, by the numbers:
Total possible points: 93
Contestant average: 33.6
Standard deviation: 5.3 (66% of contestants were between 28.3 and 38.9 points)
Daily winner: bieltd – 55 points
- Show us your shocked face: 100% of readers picked Katie Ledecky to win the women’s 800 free
- Sarah Sjostrom was a near-lock in the women’s 50 fly according to our readers: 410 of 422 picked her to win the women’s 50 fly
- World record holder Missy Franklin was a heavy favorite to win the 200 back (264 of 422 first place picks)
- Top seeds Chad le Clos (284 first place picks) and Florent Manaudou (308) were heavy favorites, as well, and lived up to it in the men’s 100 fly and 50 free.
Day 8, by the numbers:
Total possible points: 113
Contestant average: 33.7
Standard deviation: 5.1 (66% of contestants were between 38.8 and 28.6 points)
Daily winner: ivyswim – 54 points
- Just two contestants had Bronte Campbell winning the 50 free. Sister Cater Campbell, the top seed, was our readers’ favorite with 272 first place picks
- Zero contestants picked Sweden’s Jennie Johansson to win the women’s 50 breast. Ruta Meilutyte was the heavy favorite (347 first place votes)
- 391 contestants lost out on potential points by picking Sun Yang in the top 4 in the 1500
- Most of our readers went with Katinka Hosszu (350 first place picks) to win the women’s 400 IM, but just 6 people had Team USA’s Maya Dirado finishing second, and just 3 people had an “other” swimmer (Canada’s Emily Overholt) in third.
Full results, sorted by day 8 scores, are below:
Final total scores are listed here, as well: