2020-2021 Pro Swim Series – Irvine Addition
USA Swimming has announced a sixth stop on its 2020-2021 Pro Swim Series. Irvine, California will host the meet, which comes just one week after the series opener in Richmond. Here’s a look at the new, updated Pro Swim Series schedule for the 2020-2021 season:
- Nov 5-8, 2020: Pro Swim Series at Richmond (Richmond, VA)
- Nov 12-16, 2020: Pro Swim Series at Irvine (Irvine, CA)
- Jan. 13-16, 2021: Pro Swim Series at Knoxville (Knoxville, TN)
- March 3-6, 2021: Pro Swim Series at San Antonio (San Antonio, TX)
- April 8-11, 2021: Pro Swim Series at Mission Viejo (Mission Viejo, CA)
- May 12-15, 2021: Pro Swim Series at Indianapolis (Indianapolis, IN)
The two November meets happen on opposite ends of the country, which could allow athletes to limit travel distance during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Pro Swim Series – Morning Finals For Olympic Prep
The Pro Swim Series will officially flip-flop the traditional prelims/finals model at three of its six stops, holding heats in the evening and finals the following morning. USA Swimming says that decision is meant to mimic the schedule for the Olympic Games in Tokyo, giving top U.S. athletes experience in that format before the Olympics in the summer of 2021. The Olympics will also host evening heats and morning finals to align with television schedules.
Three of the six stops will feature the morning finals schedule:
Evening vs Morning Finals
- Richmond: morning finals
- Irvine: morning finals
- Knoxville: evening finals
- San Antonio: evening finals
- Mission Viejo: morning finals
- Indianapolis: evening finals
There’s no official schedule or start times yet. USA Swimming says those will be announced at a later date.
USA Swimming still notes that its event schedule “will be subject to local, state and federal health guidelines.”