2021 SPEEDO SUMMER CHAMPIONSHIPS – IRVINE
- August 3-7
- William Woollett Jr. Aquatics Center, Irvine, CA
- LCM (50m)
- Meet Website (USA Swimming)
- Psych Sheet
- Live Results
- Live Stream (USA Swimming)
- Day 2 Finals Live Recap
17-year-old Zhier Fan of Metroplex Aquatics swam a 2:13.87 200 meter breast at the West Summer Championships, dropping 3.5 seconds from his previous lifetime best from two weeks ago in late July.
He is now ranked #22 out of the all-time fastest 17-18 year-olds in the event, bumping the 17-18 age group time of 2020 Tokyo Olympian Nic Fink to #23.
Fan split the race 30.19 / 34.90 / 34.90 / 33.88, coming back fast on that last 50 meters to snag 3rd place.
His previous best time was 2:17.28, which put him outside of the top 100 swimmers in his age group. He has now leapt over names including Michael Andrew who placed 4th in the 100 breast at the Tokyo Olympics, two-time Olympic medalist Cody Miller and two-time Olympian Chase Kalisz. At #22, Fan sits directly below Texas grad Will Licon.
Fan also swam this event at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Trials Wave I where he posted a 2:18.03 and tied for 17th place in prelims. His time Wednesday would have won the 200 breast final at Trials by about 1.5 seconds.
Here’s a look at his progress in this event over the past couple years:
- August 2019: 2:20.66 at Summer Junior Nationals (career best at the time)
- February 2020: 2:17.54 at Sectionals (career best at the time)
- June 2021: 2:18.03 at the U.S. Olympic Trials Wave I
- July 2021: 2:17.28 at the NT American Long Course Championships (career best at the time)
- August 2021: 2:13.87 at West Summer Championships (career best)