2020 TOKYO SUMMER OLYMPIC GAMES
- When: Pool swimming: Saturday, July 24 – Sunday, August 1, 2021
- Open Water swimming: Wednesday, August 4 – Thursday, August 5, 2021
- Where: Olympic Aquatics Centre / Tokyo, Japan
- Heats: 7 PM / Semifinals & Finals: 10:30 AM (Local time)
- Full aquatics schedule
- SwimSwam Event Previews
- Entry Lists
- Live Results
China Further Solidifies Relay Presence
The nation of China has claimed six medals overall through day 7 here in Tokyo and two of them have come from relays. The women’s 4x200m free dominated that event with a World Record-setting time en route to gold while this session saw the foursome of Xu Jiayu, Yan Zibei, Zhang Yufei and Yang Junxuan collectively clock an effort of 3:38.86 to snag silver in the mixed medley.
Xu led-off the squad in a swift 52.56, just off his 52.51 result from the individual 100m back where he placed5th. Breaststroker Yan took over the reins from that point posting 58.11 in his discipline before heading it off to 200m fly gold medalist here Zhang. Zhang hit 55.48 while Yang closed the race out for China in 52.71.
All told, China fell just .45 off of their own national record mark of 3:38.41 which this same lineup produced at the national championships in 2020. The splits for that previous result included the following: Xu 52.45, Yan 57.96, Zhang 55.32, Yang 52.68
- Aside from the mixed medley, Asia was relatively quiet during this day 7 finals session.
- Wang Jianjiahe was in the water for the women’s 800m free, touching in 8:21.93 to claim 5th place.
- A pair of backstrokers in Peng Xuwei and Liu Yaxin placed 7th and 8th, respectively in the women’s 200m back. Peng hit 2:08.26 to Liu’s 2:08.48.
- Hong Kong’s double silver medalist here Siobhan Haughey bowed out of the 50m free semi-final due to an injury.
- Wu Qingfeng made it to the women’s 50m free final, tying teammate Zhang. Zhang dropped out of a potential swim-off to render her spot to Wu.
Continental & National Records Through Day 6
- Chinese Record in women’s 4x100m free relay – 3:34.76
- Chinese Record and Asian Record for Li Bingjie in 400m free 4:01.08
- World Junior Record and Korean Record for Hwang Sunwoo in the men’s 200m free heats – 1:44.62
- Taipei Record for Eddie Wang in men’s 200n fly heats – 1:54.44
- Korean & Asian Record for Hwang Sunwoo in the men’s 100m free semi-final – 47.56
- Hong Kong & Asian Record for Siobhan Haughey in women’s 200m free final – 1:53.92
- Chinese & Asian Record for Wang Jianjiahe in women’s 1500m free final – 15:41.49
- Chinese & Asian Record for Wang Shun in men’s 200m IM final – 1:55.00
- Hong Kong & Asian Record for Siobhan Haughey in women’s 100m free final – 52.27
Medal Table Through Day 7