The following is a press release courtesy of the Mountain West Conference:
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – San Diego State sophomore Anika Apostalon has been named Mountain West Swimmer of the Week, while Fresno State sophomore Shelbie Holden has earned MW Women’s Diver of the Week honors for competition from November 10-23, 2014. It is the second Mountain West weekly accolade for Apostalon this season and the fifth of her career. It is the first honor of Marthens’ career.
WOMEN’S SWIMMER OF THE WEEK
ANIKA APOSTALON, SAN DIEGO STATE
Sophomore, Albuquerque, N.M. / Albuquerque Academy
- Led the Aztecs to a first-place finish at the A3 Performance Invitational in Los Angeles (November 20-22).
- Won three individual events and was a member of four relay teams.
- Won the 100-yard freestyle (48.04) and 100-yard backstroke (52.10) with the best times currently in the MW. Both times are NCAA ‘B’-cut qualifying marks. Her time in the 100 back ranks No. 1 in the nation as of this week, while her 100-free mark ranks fourth.
- Posted a winning time of 22.41 in the 50-yard freestyle, an NCAA ‘B’ time only to beat it with a 22.28 in the leadoff leg of the 200-yard freestyle relay. The 22.28 mark is currently the best in the MW and ranks 10th in the country. The Aztecs placed second in the relay with a team time of 1:30.01, also a B-cut qualifier.
- Won 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:40.26 and the 400-yard freestyle relay with a B time of 3:18.03. 400-yard medley relay team placed third with a time of 3:42.15.
- All four relay times rank among the top 10 at SDSU.
WOMEN’S DIVER OF THE WEEK
SHELBIE HOLDEN, FRESNO STATE
Sophomore, Carmichael, Calif. / Bella Vista HS
- Contributed to the Bulldogs’ dual-meet wins against Fresno Pacific and UC Santa Cruz on November 15.
- Won the 1-meter dive with a score of 279.65 and the 3-meter event with a score of 313.15, setting career-bests on both boards.
- Both scores are NCAA-qualifying marks.
2014-15 Mountain West Women’s Swimmers of the Week
Oct. 14 – Sam Wicks, Jr., Boise State
Oct. 21 – Morgan McCormick, Fr., San José State
Oct. 28 – Anika Apostalon, So., San Diego State
Nov. 4 – Brittany Aoyama, So., Boise State
Nov. 11 – Yawen Li, Jr., Nevada
Nov. 25 – Anika Apostalon, So., San Diego State
2014-15 Mountain West Women’s Divers of the Week
Oct. 14 – Cari Reiswig, Fr., San José State
Oct. 21 – Cari Reiswig, Fr. San José State
Oct. 28 – Krysta Palmer, Jr., Nevada
Nov. 4 – Alexandra Caplan, Fr., San Diego State
Nov. 11 – Krysta Palmer, Jr., Nevada
Nov. 25 – Shelbie Holden, So., Fresno State
You can see a video announcement courtesy of the MWC here.