Despite the International Olympic Committee (IOC) claiming that they had spoken to both the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and Ryan Lochte and that they had denied that the latter was robbed at gunpoint overnight, Lochte has confirmed directly to NBC that it is true.
News broke early this morning that Ryan Lochte was one of three American swimmers robbed at gunpoint overnight when leaving a party that they had been invited to by Brazilian star swimmer Thiago Pereira in Rio de Janeiro. Olympic pool swimming concluded on Saturday night.
Pereira’s representatives have said that the group left the party in a taxi and that the taxi was robbed.
The Associated Press, however, said that the IOC told them that the USOC had spoken to Lochte, and the USOC claimed that Lochte denied that it had happened. The IOC said that the incident was “absolutely not true.”
Despite the denials by the USOC and IOC, Lochte spoke to NBC reporter Billy Bush on Sunday morning and confirmed that it was, in fact, true.
Lochte’s mother was the one who first shared the information with media, calling the incident “terrifying.”
The identities of the other three American swimmers involved have not been revealed.
NBC's Billy Bush spoke to Ryan Lochte this morning. Lochte confirms he and three other swimmers were robbed at gunpoint last night.
— Bradd Jaffy (@BraddJaffy) August 14, 2016