2023 CHINESE SPRING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Sunday, March 19th – Friday, March 24th
- Qingdao, China
- LCM (50m)
- Day 1 Recap/Day 2 Recap/Day 3 Recap/Day 4 Recap/Day 5 Recap
- Results via Asian Media
While competing on the final day of action at the 2023 Chinese Spring Championships, Qin Haiyang produced a new national and Asian continental record in the men’s 50m breaststroke.
23-year-old Qin logged a time of 26.63 in the heats of the 50m breast to claim the top seed. His outing overtook the previous Chinese/Asian record of 26.86 Yan Zibei put on the books at the 2019 World Championships.
Qin ultimately touched in a slower time of 26.77 in the 50m breast final to still remain on top, beating out Sun Jiajun and Yan who claimed silver and bronze. Sun snagged runner-up status in 26.80 while Yan rounded out the top 3 in 27.05
For Qin, he now ranks as the top performer in the world thus far this season, dethroning American Michael Andrew who previously held the quickest time on the season from the 26.84 put up at the Pro Swim Series.
2022-2023 LCM Men 50 Breast
Qin also now ranks as the 9th fastest performer in history in this 50m breast event.
Top 10 Men’s LCM 50 Breaststroke Performers All-Time
- Adam Peaty (GBR), 25.95 2017
- Felipe Lima (BRA), 26.33 2019*
- Nicolo Martinenghi (ITA), 26.33 2022*
- Joao Gomes Junior (BRA), 26.42 2019
- Nic Fink (USA), 26.45 2022*
- Ilya Shymanovich (BLR), 26.45 2022*
- Michael Andrew (USA), 26.52 2022
- Cameron van der Burgh (RSA), 26.54 2017
- Qin Haiyang (CHN), 26.63 2023
- Andrey Nikolaev (RUS), 26.66 2022
Chinese Spring Championships
Qin Haiyang broke 50 breast Asian record with 26.63 in the prelim. pic.twitter.com/8xVvaidShh
— Chinese Swimming News and Results (@CHNswim_fan) March 24, 2023
Is there a more versatile breastroker across the three distances than Qin? Looks like a serious gold medal threat in all three events at this year’s World’s, based on current form