2017 FUTURES – SANTA CLARA
- Thursday, August 3 – Sunday, August 6, 2017
- Santa Clara, CA
- Psych sheet
- Live results – Meet Mobile
- Prelims timeline
The 2017 Futures Championships in Santa Clara, California continued on Saturday night with the 200 fly, 50 free, 200 breast, 100 back, and 400 free. KSC’s Michael Petrides was arguably the top performer of the evening, winning golds in back-to-back events on the men’s side. He first stepped up for the 100 back, posting a 57.94 to win the gold and knock nearly 2 seconds off his lifetime best between prelims and finals.
Petrides returned for the 400 free shortly after, taking almost 5 seconds off his former best time through prelims and finals. He entered the day with a best time of 4:04.18, but knocked it down to a 4:03.40 in prelims. In the final, Petrides and FORD’s Alexander Nikolaev were virtually tied at the halfway point with just 3 hundredths separating them, but Petrides was able to pull ahead for the win in 3:59.67 to Nikolaev’s 4:00.35.
On the women’s side, 15-year-old Teagan Preston of NCA was one of the highlight performers with her victory in the 200 breast. Preston took the lead early on, turning in 1:16.11 at the 100-meter mark and never letting up to win by over 4 seconds with a 2:35.54. That was a huge time drop for her, as she came into today with a lifetime best of 2:43.06 from the 2016 Futures Championships.
ADDITIONAL DAY 3 EVENT WINNERS:
- Women’s 200 Fly: Jillian Hatch, CLOV, 2:17.84
- Men’s 200 Fly: Thomas Hall, CAAT, 2:03.81
- Women’s 50 Free: Leanna Gharbaoui, PAC, 26.59
- Men’s 50 Free: Alex Chan, IOL, 23.23
- Women’s 200 Breast: Tegan Preston, NCA, 2:35.54
- Men’s 200 Breast: Brandon Stride, GAC, 2:22.48
- Women’s 100 Back: Katelyn Laderoute, OCST, 1:03.93
- Women’s 400 Free: Jasmine O’Brien, HSC, 4:22.71
- Men’s 400 Free: Michael Petrides, KSC, 3:59.67