Courtesy: Indiana Athletics
TEMPE, Ariz. – The No. 14-ranked Indiana water polo team defeated No. 16 San Jose State, 7-6, in a back-and-forth affair at the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) Tournament on Saturday in Tempe, Ariz.
The win improves IU’s season record to 10-16 overall and 2-12 in MPSF action. San Jose State drops to 2-16 overall and 1-11 in conference play. The Hoosier will face No. 4 California in the fifth-place game at 12:00 p.m. ET on Sunday, May 2.
- Sophomore Zoe Crouch opened the scoring Saturday afternoon with a goal at the 6:33 mark in the first period.
- Junior Mary Askew made an important save in the second period to deny San Jose State on a five-meter penalty shot.
- Crouch scored her second goal of the first half on a powerplay to break a 4-0 San Jose State run.
- Junior Izzy Mandema recorded the first score of the second half off an assist from sophomore Lanna Debow.
- Freshman Kallie White leveled the score midway through the third period off an assist from freshman Kiki Mein.
- Askew scored a goal right before the end of the third period to give the Hoosiers a 6-5 lead.
- Crouch finished her hat-trick in the fourth period with a goal to put IU back in front for good at 7-6.
- Crouch finished with three goals on the afternoon, the fifth time she’s done that this season.
- Askew recorded 11 saves in goal, her fourth-straight game with double-digit saves.
- Debow added two assists to her season tally in the victory.
- With her goal, Mandema (60) is now four goals shy of tying Candyce Schroeder in 10thplace on the single-season goals list.
• Crouch (43) is now two assists shy of tying Deb Simone and Lauren Wyckoff in 10thplace on the single-season assists list.
- The Hoosiers will take on No. 4 California at 12:00 p.m. ET in the team’s final game of the 2021 season at the MPSF Tournament on Sunday, May 2.