The NCAA has released a new round of NCAA site selections, which includes the Division I women’s hosting duties for 2019-2022. After being hosted in Columbus next year, as previously announced, the NCAA will take the event to Austin and the University of Texas in 2019, to Ahtens, Georgia in 2020, to Greensboro, North Carolina in 2021, and to Atlanta in 2022.
Next 5 NCAA Women’s Division I Hosting Sites
- March 15-17, 2018, Columbus, Ohio – Ohio State (spectator seating for 1,750)
- March 20-23, 2019, Austin, Texas – University of Texas (2,100 grandstand seating, 500 portable bleachers on deck)
- March 18-21, 2020, Athens, Georgia – University of Georgia (capacity of 2,000 spectators)
- March 17-20, 2021, Greensboro, North Carolina – Greensboro Aquatic Center (NC State co-host) (permanent spectator seating for 1,848, bleacher seating for 652)
- March 16-19, 2022, Atlanta, Georgia – Georgia Tech (seating for 1,900 spectators)
2019 and 2022 in Austin and Atlanta, respectively, will be double-hosted with the men’s championships a week later.
The Greensboro Aquatic Center has hosted only once, in 2015, the meet where Missy Franklin became the first woman under 1:40 in the 200 yard freestyle. Georgia’s Gabrielsen Natatorium has hosted twice, in 1999 and in 2006. Georgia one the 1999 meet and was 2nd in 2006 – swimming very well in their home pool.
The Texas Swim Center in Austin has hosted the meet 6 times (Texas won 2 of those times).
The Georgia Tech Aquatic Center has only hosted the women’s championship once since it was built for the 1996 Summer Olympic Games: in 2016, when both the women’s and men’s meets were hosted in the same facility. It has also hosted the men’s meet just twice.
The Greensboro Aquatic Center will host the first Division I swimming NCAA Championship back in the state of North Carolina in 2021 since the NCAA lifted its moratorium on hosting post-season events at off-campus sites there. The GAC was originally to host the 2017 ACC Championships, but that meet was moved on a similar declaration from the conference office.