2021 LEN EUROPEAN AQUATICS CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Swimming: Monday, May 17th – Sunday, May 23rd
- Budapest, Hungary
- Prelims at 10:00 am local/Finals at 6:00 pm local
- Event Site
- Entry List
- Live Stream
No swimmers with a top 8 seed scratched any events for day 3 finals at the European Championships, but the 2-per-nation rules have cleared out several top qualifiers.
Russia’s Andrey Zhilken, sitting 9th in the 200 IM out of prelims, is the highest-seeded scratch. Zhilkin was actually Russia’s top qualifier in that event, but Maxim Stupin will still compete in the semifinals tonight after placing 11th. Further back, Ilya Borodin was 15th and could have competed after Zhilken’s scratch. But he, too, appears to have scratched, as neither Zhilken nor Borodin appear on finals start lists.
10th-qualifying 100 backstroker Roman Mityukov scratched out of the 100 back for Switzerland in the only other true scratch appearing on start lists.
Two swimmers with top-8 qualifying spots won’t compete tonight due to the rules limiting each nation to a maximum of two finalists or semifinalists. Hungary went 1-2-4 in the women’s 200 fly, leaving fourth-place Zsuzsanna Jakabos on the outside. And Great Britain went 2-3-5-10 in the men’s 200 IM. That bumped fifth-place Joe Litchfield and tenth-place James McFadzen out of the semis.
Day 3 Scratches & Two-Per-Nation Cuts
Here are all the scratches and cuts out of the top 8 (for finals) or top 16 (for semifinals).
Men’s 1500 free – final
Men’s 100 free – final
Women’s 100 breast – final
Men’s 100 back – semifinals
- 9th-place Grigory Tarasevich (RUS) – 2-per-nation
- 10th-place Roman Mityukov (SUI) – scratch
Women’s 200 fly – semifinals
- 4th-place Zsuzsanna Jakabos (HUN) – 2-per-nation
- 10th-place Dora Hathazi (HUN) – 2-per-nation
- 13th-place Emily Large (GBR) – 2-per-nation
- 14th-place Alys Thomas (GBR) – 2-per-nation
Men’s 200 breast – semifinals
- 9th-place Aleksandr Zhigalov (RUS) – 2-per-nation
Women’s 50 back – final
Men’s 200 IM – semifinals
- 5th-place Joe Litchfield (GBR) – 2-per-nation
- 9th-place Andrey Zhiklin (RUS) – scratch
- 10th-place James McFadzen (GBR) – 2-per-nation
- 15th-place Ilya Borodin (RUS) – scratch
Women’s 200 free – semifinals
- 10th-place Lucy Hope (GBR) – 2-per-nation
Men’s 200 fly – final
Men’s 4×200 free relay – final